FTSE ends strong quarter on weak note, hit by falling banks
Britain's top share index dropped on Friday, taking the shine off a strong quarter, as banks fell on renewed uncertainty over Deutsche Bank's financial health and as a spate of broker downgrades hit outsourcer Capita.
The FTSE 100 was down 78.33 points, or 1.1 percent, at 6,841.09 by 0820 GMT, with financials taking 25 points off the index.
Banks followed the European sector lower after Germany's largest lender admitted it had an image problem with investors, although the bank played down a report that counterparties are wary about doing business with it.
"It's mainly speculation at... read more
- 08:04 Sunderland boss hoping for more than one signing
- 08:04 Judges to decide who has priority on a bus - wheelchair users or prams
- 08:04 The morning news headlines: Theresa May faces questioning by MPs...
- 08:03 Pictures from inside Pulse nightclub reveal devastation of worst...
- 08:03 Outsourcer Mitie replaces finance chief as it issues another profit...
- 08:03 Premier Foods lowers year profit forecast after weak third quarter
- 08:01 Chelsea done deal: Player leaks news he's signed Blues contract
- 08:01 Ander Herrera turns up at Juan Mata's house before training… and...
- 08:00 Manchester United star reacts to extending Old Trafford stay
- 08:00 Drink-driver could be sent to jail after breaching suspended sentence
- 07:59 Sheffield residents urged to be vigilant after spate of burglaries
- 07:59 WARNING: South Yorkshire residents targeted in 'Migrant Helpline' scam
- 07:59 Acclaimed artist links up with school for new project
- 07:59 Grant Thorold Library set to get major improvements thanks to huge...
- 07:58 1000 holidaymakers flown home from Gambia amid unrest fears
- 07:57 Woman raped by 'Daddy' as a child only discovered monster WASN'T...
- 07:57 FBI's Top Ten Most Wanted: The nightmarish tales of America's most...
- 07:57 Drink-driver could be sent to jail after breaching suspended sentence
- 07:56 Sheffield mum wants your help to find muggers who beat son...
- 07:56 Rotherham hospital
- 07:56 God bless the NHS
- 07:56 A tale of two MPs
- 07:56 The rogue traders
- 07:56 JD Wetherspoon sees higher costs, lower sales
- 07:56 WARNING: South Yorkshire residents targeted in 'Migrant Helpline' scam
- 07:56 Credit checker Experian says third quarter revenue up, keeps full...
- 07:56 Did you belong to any scooter clubs?
- 07:56 Small number of £2 coins could be worth a fortune thanks to a mistake
- 07:56 Anthony Joshua swamped by vile anti-Muslim Twitter abuse after...
- 07:56 Battle between prams and wheelchairs on buses to be resolved