FTSE CLOSE: Footsie comes close to breaking 7,000 barrier as Theresa May vows to kick start Brexit
17.15 (close): London's top flight index came close to breaking above the 7,000 mark as stocks rallied after Prime Minister Theresa May vowed to kick start the Brexit process by March next year.
The FTSE 100 Index touched 6,996.43, before paring gains to rise 84.19 points to 6,983.52, as investors were handed greater clarity over when Britain will exit the EU.
However, the pound was waning on the currency markets, dropping to a three-year low against the euro, amid concerns that Mrs May will opt for a 'hard Brexit' by leaving the single market in order to control immigration.
The... read more
- 02:04 Coronation Street spoilers: Lucy Fallon teases new Bethany Platt...
- 02:04 I’m A Celebrity 2017: Amir Khan hits back as he faces Iain Lee: ‘We...
- 01:53 Championship verdict: Nigel Adkins seems to have got Hull in shape...
- 01:42 The Scots who fought in the battle for Jerusalem
- 01:41 Star Wars: The blockbuster made in Borehamwood
- 01:35 The death (possibly) of monogamy and other relationships
- 01:35 He could have been a contender
- 01:35 Alternatives to the nightmare of a society ravaged by inequality
- 01:35 Defoe brace secures a point for Cherries against Palace
- 01:35 Son shines bright for Spurs in dominant win over Stoke
- 01:35 David’s West Ham slays Goliath as Conte concedes title
- 01:35 The financial aristocrats will eat themselves
- 01:35 The Middle East peace process lies in ruins
- 01:35 ‘This is the 275th day of our hunger strike’
- 01:35 It seems that Brexit doesn’t mean Brexit
- 01:35 Boris leaves Iran without an agreement on jailed Brit
- 01:35 Survivors still let down 6 months on
- 01:35 See the light: Ban nuclear weapons
- 01:33 League Two verdict: Jack Lester is finally turning things around as...
- 01:33 League One verdict: Wimbledon's Darius Charles stumps up £150 to...
- 01:28 I’m A Celebrity 2017: Iain Lee brands Ant and Dec 'b******s' during...
- 01:28 Business leaders urge ministers to 'steady Scotland's economic ship'
- 01:24 Galloway national park fight stepped up
- 01:24 'We are coming for you' message on abuse
- 01:23 Rangers' pop at Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes' ambition lacked class
- 01:18 Dana White reveals how he really feels about GSP vacating the MW title
- 01:12 Amir Khan gets confrontational with Iain Lee during I’m A Celeb...
- 01:10 I'm A Celebrity 2017: Iain Lee reveals he was nearly killed twice...
- 00:56 Furious Jose Mourinho has MILK thrown at him after storming into...
- 00:55 Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic may NEVER be the same again -...