FTSE-100 will top 7,500 as Brexit unfolds, predicts economist
The FTSE-100 is set to jump another six per cent from current record levels to hit 7,500, according to John Higgins, chief markets economist at Capital Economics.
Boosted by a falling pound and a rally in oil prices, the bluechip index has this week reached an all-time high of 7,129.83.
But in the coming months the market will be driven higher still, forecast Mr Higgins.
He said: "We think the index will do even better as the currency stays weak and fears about the economic fall-out from Brexit ease."
The pound has weakened following the referendum result, partly in response to... read more
- 00:01 Revealed: how US billionaire helped to back Brexit
- 01:25 10 questions we need answering after the return of Broadchurch...
- 00:01 Robert Mercer: the big data billionaire waging war on mainstream media
- 00:01 Corbyn told: take blame for Copeland byelection flop or we face...
- 00:01 Jeremy Corbyn told not to 'pass the buck' after Labour defeat
- 00:01 Lost: test results diagnosing Jeremy Hunt with terminal incompetence
- 00:01 London must remain open to the world
- 00:01 Be fierce, furious, and fight! Join the Raccoons of the Resistance!
- 00:01 Enough navel-gazing. It’s time Labour got back to work
- 00:01 Stoke shows how to destroy Ukip – split the alienated voters and...
- 00:01 The parallels between Scottish nationalism and racism are clear
- 00:01 George Freeman’s dismissal of anxiety is pig-ignorance and must be...
- 00:01 The Guardian view on George W Bush: a welcome return
- 00:01 The Guardian view on disability benefits: head versus heart
- 00:01 The Guardian view on management consultants: the trick is confidence
- 00:01 Article 50 day won't be cut-off date for EU migrants, No 10 suggests
- 00:01 Sir Gerald Kaufman obituary
- 00:01 Peter Hain: hard Brexit puts Northern Ireland peace process at risk
- 00:01 Gerald Kaufman’s stellar PMQs moment
- 00:01 Better election results ahead for the Green party?
- 00:01 EU urged to end cooperation with Sudan after refugees whipped and...
- 00:01 Don't threaten to cut intelligence ties in Brexit talks, UK warned
- 00:01 BBC orders investigation into claims of aggressive TV licence...
- 00:01 Tributes paid to 'iconic' Labour MP Sir Gerald Kaufman
- 00:01 DUP braced to lose seats in Northern Ireland assembly elections
- 00:01 Chairman of housing association behind 'substandard' development...
- 00:01 Deported woman's family say Amber Rudd lacks compassion
- 00:01 May adviser regrets saying benefits should only go to 'really...
- 00:01 NHS data loss: 500 patients may have suffered serious harm
- 00:01 John Major attacks government over approach to Brexit