FTSE 100 slips as gloomy Next outlook hits shares
Shares in Next slumped after the retailer reported falling sales and issued a gloomy outlook for next year.
Its shares dived 12% after it said sales fell 0.4% in the run-up to Christmas and added full-year profits would be at the low end of forecasts.
Next also warned that 2017 would be "another challenging year", and predicted a fall in profits.
The news hit shares in other retailers, with M&S down 4.4% and Primark owner Associated British Foods dropping 4.2%.
The falls pulled the FTSE 100 back from Tuesday's record closing high, with the UK's benchmark share index down 2.17... read more
- 20:38 Fire crews tackle flat blaze
- 20:35 Rafael Nadal reveals SECRET to Italian Open final victory against...
- 20:33 Lincolnshire residents advised to order Bank Holiday prescriptions...
- 20:30 Cougar mauls cyclist to death and drags him away to den as injured...
- 20:29 Arsenal preparing to make Mikel Arteta announcement in the next week
- 20:29 Rangers news: Steven Gerrard appointment backed by former Celtic boss
- 20:27 Brackley Town lift FA Trophy after dramatic penalty shootout
- 20:26 Brackley Town lift FA Trophy after dramatic penalty shootout
- 20:23 Lincolnshire residents advised to order Bank Holiday prescriptions...
- 20:20 Street light felled in crash
- 20:15 Trump seeks probe into FBI election campaign 'infiltration'
- 20:13 Liverpool transfer news: Former Reds attacker wants Anfield return
- 20:11 Frankie Boyle criticises 'cowardly' BBC for Israel joke apology
- 20:11 It’s simple for Simon as Modeligo claims another Stratford success
- 20:10 Street light felled in crash
- 20:10 Woman cut free from crashed car
- 20:09 View from the Zoo: Wide-eyed arrivals settle in at Flamingo Land
- 20:08 John Bercow to face Andrea Leadsom after 'stupid woman' row
- 20:08 Boris Johnson lays wreath in Argentina for Falklands soldiers
- 20:08 Fire crews tackle flat blaze
- 19:57 Golfers in Hawaii don’t let volcano eruption get in the way of a round
- 19:55 Lord Mayor of Chester to lead anniversary event remembering...
- 19:51 Lincolnshire residents advised to order Bank Holiday prescriptions...
- 19:51 Pakistan and blunted Mohammad Abbas toil to draw with Leicestershire
- 19:51 Rafael Nadal fends off Alexander Zverev to secure Italian Open final
- 19:50 Lincolnshire residents advised to order Bank Holiday prescriptions...
- 19:48 Trump will ask justice department to look into campaign surveillance
- 19:46 David's delighted as Northants win at Nottinghamshire for first...
- 19:45 Jurgen Klopp talks Zinedine Zidane: What I am glad about ahead of...
- 19:41 Chrissy Teigen finally reveals baby boy's name after he arrives 'a...