FTSE 100 slides and pound hits fresh low
The pound has continued to slide on the currency markets as worries over the Brexit process persist.
After hitting a 31-year low against the dollar on Tuesday, the pound fell further in early trade - dropping below the $1.27 mark to hit $1.2687.
The FTSE 100 share index, which has risen sharply in the past couple of days, was also lower.
The benchmark index, which came close to hitting record high on Tuesday, was down 19.59 points at 7,054.75.
Against the euro, the pound dropped 0.3% to €1.1317.
The pound has fallen sharply since the start of the week when Prime Minister Theresa May said... read more
- 09:32 UKIP accused of 'full-throttle' Islamophobia after policy launch
- 09:32 This VAT hike will cost you thousands - and here's why
- 09:32 Rumoured Pokémon Go event from Niantic to introduce SHINY characters
- 09:30 Batley man Ghulam Hussain admits trying to join ISIS in Syria using...
- 09:30 Emma Stewart: Disaster recovery needs planning and testing
- 09:29 VIDEO: Typhoons take off on NATO mission
- 09:27 E4’s Tattoo Fixers looking for ink disasters in Lincolnshire
- 09:25 Man Utd Expected XI: This 4-2-3-1 can beat Man City on Thursday
- 09:24 Police hunting man who fled scene of crash involving parked car
- 09:24 Strike affecting South Yorkshire trains called off
- 09:24 Detectives say Madeleine McCann could have been snatched by slave...
- 09:24 Elton John spends two days in intensive care with 'potentially...
- 09:23 Up to 3,000,000 UK children risk going hungry during school holidays
- 09:23 Fenwick is latest store to leave Leicester - but which shops do YOU...
- 09:23 Will it snow in Yorkshire today?
- 09:22 Chester vets invite BBC TV presenter to official opening
- 09:22 Virgin Trains East Coast strike suspended
- 09:21 Global celebration of festivals to mark Edinburgh Fringe's 70th...
- 09:21 Get off the beaten track: New guide reveals the best of wild Scotland
- 09:20 Rhys Jones' killer Sean Mercer fears Little Boy Blue will leave him...
- 09:20 Somalia executes four it says were al Shabaab fighters behind 2016...
- 09:19 Tesla to double the number of its electric car 'Supercharger'...
- 09:19 Three people taken to hospital after kitchen fire in Ilkeston
- 09:19 How 10,000 earthquakes have shaken Britain over the past 50 years:...
- 09:19 NASA reveals design for inflatable greenhouse 'tube' that could...
- 09:19 Bulletproof NSA spy blimp that could listen in on cell phone calls...
- 09:19 Trump 'is set to extend laptop ban aboard passenger planes to...
- 09:19 Club chief gets asked about Liverpool transfer rumours: Here's what...
- 09:19 Man United target tells his agent: I want to play for this club
- 09:18 Can you spot what’s wrong with this man’s hand?