FTSE 100 higher but estate agents hit
(Open): The UK market opened higher, but shares in estate agents were hit by news that the government is planning a ban on charging fees to tenants.
The FTSE 100 was up 27.42 points at 6,847.14, with precious metal miners Fresnillo and Randgold Resources the top risers on the index.
But in the FTSE 250, news of the ban on letting agents' fees hit shares in Countrywide, which dropped 6%.
Rival Foxtons also suffered, with its shares down 11%.
Shares in travel company Thomas Cook rose more than 6% despite it reporting a dip in full-year profits.
Underlying earnings fell by £41m to £308m in a... read more
- 15:08 Mum claims damages after horror cyst ordeal
- 15:08 Each area will have 'chapter' in local plan
- 15:08 Bye-bye Byron Street
- 15:08 Kitchen clink: Rogue trader jailed for fraud
- 15:07 Children brave chop to help young people with cancer
- 15:07 Storm Doris to bring 80mph winds and heavy rain
- 15:06 Digger Festival organisers and artists celebrate George Orwell
- 15:06 Nissan says Brexit-induced fall in pound left it slightly worse off
- 15:06 New BBC Scotland channel a “shift in the right direction”
- 15:06 India's Snapdeal to cut 600 staff, founders forego salary
- 15:06 VIDEO: Bumpy landings for planes at Yorkshire airport as Storm...
- 15:05 Ayrshire boxing legend Alec Mullen backs Irvine ace Ryan Collins to...
- 15:05 Crime scene investigation officers in West Cumbrian town centre
- 15:04 South Sudanese exiles fear kidnap after activists disappear in Kenya
- 15:04 Eden Hazard: Why Chelsea have been so good at Stamford Bridge this...
- 15:04 Manchester United take advantage of bizarre 'loophole' ahead of...
- 15:04 Man 'gutted' in knife attack after refusing to give cash to beggars
- 15:03 NOSTALGIA: Old pictures of Chesterfield Co-op
- 15:03 Storm Doris to bring 80mph winds and heavy rain
- 15:02 Traffic lights review before upgrade works began would have put...
- 15:02 New cafe bar to bring back to life disused bank building
- 15:02 Double penalty points for drivers caught using mobile phone
- 15:02 Sheffield resident heard "shouting and loud voices" moments before...
- 15:02 Northern Powerhouse Minister to speak at major conference on how...
- 15:01 Wall Street slips on weak oil prices; Fed minutes in focus
- 15:01 Iran sends delegation to Saudi for talks on rejoining haj
- 15:01 Germany's 'man of the streets' Schulz plots path to defeat Merkel
- 15:00 Calthorpe Estates expands senior team
- 15:00 More than 160 floral tributes left at scene where Sheffield man was...
- 14:59 Hairdressers are being reminded about TV licensing