FTSE 100 higher as miners gain
(Open): London's leading shares rose in early Monday trading, with mining stocks powering the City's benchmark index higher.
In the opening minutes, the FTSE 100 rose 20.42 points or 0.29% to 7,064.81.
Fresnillo and Randgold topped the winners' board, both gaining 1.9%.
Mining firms have benefited from the fall in the pound since the Brexit vote, since they generate most of their revenues abroad. A weaker pound boosts overseas revenues in sterling terms.
In early Monday trading, the pound fell further, sliding 0.51% against the dollar to $1.2371 and 0.23% against the euro to €1.1082.
The... read more
- 16:48 Arsenal star Laurent Koscielny reveals Tottenham legend Chris...
- 16:48 Liverpool fans hit out at Gareth Southgate as Adam Lallana is ruled...
- 16:48 Liverpool training photos: Key man missing as Reds train ahead of...
- 16:48 Nigel Clough preparing for Burton Albion's survival push to go down...
- 16:47 Appeal to trace wanted Warwick man
- 16:47 POLL: If the EU referendum was held again today, how would you vote?
- 16:47 Superstore plans to level disputed site
- 16:47 White Rose Shopping Centre celebrates 20 years with birthday bonanza
- 16:47 M1 lane closed after smash
- 16:47 Warwick Youth Parliament team set for fundraising skydive for...
- 16:47 Nintendo Switch sales NEWS: Nintendo turns industry on ear with...
- 16:46 Students must swim before they graduate, says China university
- 16:46 Mum disgusted as son is banned from school trips despite ‘natural...
- 16:46 Could you find love on new TV dating show?
- 16:46 Tarantula the size of a plate found running around London garden
- 16:46 Boozed-up thug punched man and left him with permanent eye injury
- 16:46 Unexplained death as man passes away in Seacombe
- 16:46 Eden Hazard to Real Madrid: Chelsea boss Antonio Conte to do this...
- 16:45 Broadchurch spoiler: Does THIS photo reveal who raped Trish Winterman?
- 16:45 France's Macron confident of winning parliamentary majority
- 16:44 Devastating tsunamis formed on Mars billions of years ago following...
- 16:44 Would you get one? CEO of period app wants Apple to design a device...
- 16:43 The oilpalm connection: is the Sumatran elephant the price of our...
- 16:43 Reasons couples argue revealed
- 16:43 EROTICA BRITANNIA OR EROICA BRITANNIA: Name of Derbyshire festival...
- 16:43 Sir Alex Ferguson: I only get anxious when Manchester United play...
- 16:43 Bank branches to close doors
- 16:42 POLL: If the EU referendum was held again today, how would you vote?
- 16:42 White Rose Shopping Centre celebrates 20 years with birthday bonanza
- 16:42 South Yorkshire taxi firm takeover will ‘protect’ jobs