FTSE 100 higher as miners gain
(Open): London's leading shares rose in early Monday trading, with mining stocks powering the City's benchmark index higher.
In the opening minutes, the FTSE 100 rose 20.42 points or 0.29% to 7,064.81.
Fresnillo and Randgold topped the winners' board, both gaining 1.9%.
Mining firms have benefited from the fall in the pound since the Brexit vote, since they generate most of their revenues abroad. A weaker pound boosts overseas revenues in sterling terms.
In early Monday trading, the pound fell further, sliding 0.51% against the dollar to $1.2371 and 0.23% against the euro to €1.1082.
The... read more
- 12:08 Mobile-phone based bank Number26 expands to 17 European markets
- 12:08 Council staff offered £500 to help recruit social workers
- 12:07 Motorist clocked racing at 126mph on the M181 near Scunthorpe
- 12:07 Toyota to expand hybrid system development to further cut emissions
- 12:06 Music review: RSNO - Verdi Requiem
- 12:06 Music review: Scottish Chamber Orchestra
- 12:06 Album reviews: The Rolling Stones | Peter Doherty | Jools Holland
- 12:05 Thousands of Charter Savings Bank customers are warned their...
- 12:05 Motorists experiencing huge delays on A590 between Greenodd and...
- 12:04 South Tyneside theatre celebrates ‘takeover’ by young artists
- 12:04 New apprentice driving towards bright future after being taken on...
- 12:04 Tottenham Expected XI: Pochettino to give youth a chance in his...
- 12:04 This Chelsea loanee could become the next Frank Rijkaard - former...
- 12:04 Chelsea drama could repeat itself if Jose Mourinho doesn’t do this...
- 12:03 Top European wedding award for Woodhall Spa venue
- 12:03 Your fiver could be worth £50,000 if it has this amazing tiny...
- 12:03 Disability event in Woodhall Spa
- 12:03 Extraordinary meeting over plans to extend Raunds business park
- 12:03 Haul of samurai swords, knife, cash and jewellery stolen from...
- 12:02 Hartlepool sisters win Pop Act of the Year
- 12:01 City estate agency expands team
- 12:01 Injured swan causing delays on M1
- 12:01 VIDEO: ‘Diamond shaped UFOs’ spotted ‘colliding’ in Derbyshire
- 12:01 Four Dales leisure centres to be outsourced
- 12:01 Quad bike stolen from Derbyshire farm
- 11:58 Twenty seasons on, despite Jurgen Klopp and a host of superstar...
- 11:58 Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea set for...
- 11:57 Doncaster Rovers fanzine is named country's number one at...
- 11:57 Three arrested over breach of security at Doncaster airport
- 11:56 Badger cull free TB eradication in Wales and Northern Ireland? The...