FTSE 100 falls as banks and oil firms drop
London's benchmark share index opened lower, with banks and oil companies among the main fallers.
In early trade, the FTSE 100 was down 54.63 points, or 0.8%, at 6,786.12.
Shares in oil giants Royal Dutch Shell and BP were both down by about 1.5% as the price of oil remained under pressure ahead of a meeting of the Opec oil producers this week.
Oil prices had fallen 3% on Friday, and they slid again on Monday before recovering.
Opec is meeting on Wednesday, but it remains uncertain as to whether the group will agree cuts to oil output in order to rein in global oversupply.
Shares in Royal... read more
- 13:48 Teenagers arrested in Llandudno drug raids
- 13:47 Mood in the Chelsea camp is not the best, admits Blues defender...
- 13:47 Carlos Takam confident he can beat Anthony Joshua in Cardiff after...
- 13:47 Manchester United on FIFA 18: How every player looks, highest rated...
- 13:47 Former soldier 'initiation ceremonies' in barracks left him with...
- 13:47 The importance of decentralised solar energy
- 13:46 Emergency services ‘need new law help’
- 13:46 New hope in quest for ancient beer
- 13:46 Flying Scotsman investigation at Nene Valley Railway
- 13:46 Cesar Azpilicueta worried about Chelsea’s state of mind ahead of...
- 13:46 Furious Dudley mum says toddler 'bitten by BEDBUGS' at Pontins
- 13:46 Scotland to become first part of UK to ban the smacking of children
- 13:46 Loose Women: Penny Lancaster breaks down as she reveals she was...
- 13:45 Emergency meeting over British Steel pensions called
- 13:45 Lyon v Sale Sharks: European Challenge Cup preview
- 13:44 Lancaster Brewery raises a glass to prestigious beer listings
- 13:43 Arsenal v Liverpool will NOT take place on Christmas Eve: Premier...
- 13:43 Overwatch Season 6, Halloween event END DATE: Here's when Blizzard...
- 13:43 Angelina Jolie almost starred in WHICH sexy teenage 1990s horror...
- 13:42 Graham Gooch predicts ‘tough’ Ashes campaign for England captain...
- 13:42 Ryanair BEGS pilots to join airline with 20 per cent pay rise and...
- 13:42 Nativity! The Musical set for world premiere - but it's in...
- 13:41 Serena Williams may not play Australian Open, Maria Sharapova can...
- 13:40 Festival No 6 reveals first headline act for 2018
- 13:39 Jim White breaks his Celtic scarf vow and fans aren't happy about it
- 13:39 Hollywood stars descend on Ellesmere Port for new movie
- 13:38 North Lincolnshire health chief set to step down
- 13:38 Cathedral organist to end concert season
- 13:38 Sparks will fly!
- 13:38 City boxer jailed over break ins at home of ex and her new partner