From Sugar City to Twickenham: How new England forward Nathan Hughes grew up playing hockey and wearing grass skirts in Fiji
It was back in Sugar City - the heart of Fiji's cane-growing region - where Nathan Hughes discovered his taste for sport. Hockey was his childhood passion, with both parents representing the national team, and he only switched to rugby aged 17.
In one of his earliest games for St Thomas High School, Lautoka, he tackled an opponent into touch with such force that he shattered a wooden chair on the sideline. A late bloomer, Hughes was blessed with power and onlookers spotted his potential.
Having lived in England for three years, the Wasps No 8 is finally eligible for Eddie Jones's side... read more
- 13:11 "Wrexham AFC are a good side, we had to keep ourselves in the game"
- 13:10 Why it is now harder to illegally stream football and movies
- 13:10 Undercover police sting snared 'predatory' man trying to incite...
- 13:09 How can we alter farming practices in upland Wales to ensure its...
- 13:09 ‘Homeless’ begging gang pictured getting out of car together before...
- 13:09 VIDEO: Notts protesters try to stop council tree cull
- 13:09 Paedophile David Sutton smuggles blade into Hull court dock on...
- 13:09 Arson investigation after elderly man's mobility scooter set-alight
- 13:08 Joey Essex just swore live on This Morning – because of a ‘f**king...
- 13:08 Lucas Perez wants to leave Arsenal ‘at any cost’, confirms...
- 13:08 £117k youth club windfall
- 13:08 New chief commits to action plan on rural crime
- 13:07 Footage shows scuffles outside ground as Mansfield Town lose at...
- 13:07 Roe v Wade: plaintiff's death highlights weakening of abortion...
- 13:07 NHS trusts overspent by nearly £900m
- 13:06 Police probe 100-man brawl in city centre
- 13:06 Can you help this mother find her late son's lost artworks?
- 13:06 Is former Birmingham City hero Paul Caddis about to find a new club?
- 13:05 LETTER: Beakers were not just limited to Batley!
- 13:05 Shigellosis: Everything you need to know about this highly...
- 13:05 Fizzy drinks spark liver disease warning
- 13:05 Particles from outer space ‘wreaking low-grade havoc on mobile...
- 13:04 Confue on target but Town fail to take maximum points
- 13:04 Grammar school 'would be a waste'
- 13:04 Skiing soldier slaloms his way to glory
- 13:04 Port Vale v Bristol Rovers: Call for police and steward conduct probe
- 13:03 Yorkshire weather: Winter set to return with high winds, cold...
- 13:03 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho reacts to Marcus Rashford's...
- 13:02 Enormous numbers may still complain about PPI, says ombudsman
- 13:02 Stun gun and CS gas found in search of car in remote Grantham lane