From base to gold
WHEN Marco Polo travelled to China in the 13th century, he found that among its wonders was “the secret of the alchemists”. Its imperial court could turn mulberry bark into money. It simply printed paper notes, decreed that people must accept them and killed counterfeiters. For a Venetian used to gold coins, the world’s first fiat currency was a marvel. Its value derived not from precious metal but from the credibility of the regime issuing it. This month China achieved another kind of monetary alchemy: to fashion a global reserve currency out of one that, by a range of criteria, does not... read more
- 08:25 Get your gladrags on, Whitby’s White Lily Ball is coming!
- 08:25 WIN a three-course meal for two at top Whitby restaurant
- 08:25 Restaurant Group reports slip in sales
- 08:25 Colonel Kemp backs controversial deportation proposal: 'What's the...
- 08:24 Handing over the handlebars at cycle shop
- 08:24 Latest court reports from Kirklees Magistrates
- 08:24 Chief executive to leave Northumberland County Council
- 08:24 Burnley chairman Mike Garlick admits his club faces a battle to...
- 08:23 Council takes steps to get coach drivers using new facility
- 08:23 Town councillor criticises mayor for ditching civic party
- 08:23 Up to 5,000 troops ready to deploy as UK remains on 'critical'...
- 08:23 Paxton House set to celebrate anniversary
- 08:23 Tories' lead over Labour narrows in first poll since Manchester...
- 08:23 Sheffield hit-and-run driver in 'dark car' sought after knocking...
- 08:23 Go Outdoors to hold family fun day
- 08:23 China stocks end week higher, state-led buying offsets Moody's...
- 08:23 Road closed in Tutbury due to an accident involving one car
- 08:22 Engelbert Humperdinck new LP riding high in album charts
- 08:22 Michael Watson: Time to invest in making society better
- 08:21 Your guide to Bank Holiday opening times for Leeds pharmacies
- 08:21 Former school pays respects to Hartlepool mum killed in Manchester...
- 08:21 Meet the 'butterfly' baby: 11-month-old boy has skin so fragile...
- 08:21 MSPs have ‘no confidence’ in Scottish Police Authority chairman
- 08:20 North East Bank Holiday weekend weather guide - here's all you need...
- 08:18 Former Greens leader backs Labour’s Ian Murray in Edinburgh South
- 08:18 General Election Poll: Conservatives’ lead over Labour falls
- 08:18 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 08:17 LIVE Hull City news and rumours as Marco Silva's departure is...
- 08:17 Asylum seekers at Australian-run detention centre told to leave or...
- 08:17 New night shelter for Grimsby's homeless 'will save lives'