Fresher’s flu or MENINGITIS? Dr Chris Steele discusses DEADLY infection among students
The GP joined This Morning hosts Holly and Phil to share the warning signs he said all freshers should be aware of.
According to Public Health England, one in 10 people who contract Meningitis W die and there has been a sharp rise in recent years of a highly aggressive strain of the bacteria.
“You have got thousands of student from all over the place coming together,” said Dr Chris.
“You can pick up lots of things. Most of them will just clear up on their own.”
But the doctor said people should be aware of the symptoms of the infection.
“Headache, fever, vomiting, fever, stiff neck and a... read more
- 15:32 Is the mini-heatwave over? What this week's weather has in store
- 15:32 Arsenal 4-1 West Ham: Late goals from Aaron Ramsey and Alexandre...
- 15:32 The Civic Society column with David Winpenny
- 15:31 TV star Paul O'Grady devastated after death of his beloved dog Olga
- 15:29 Research reveals women are taking control of their finances
- 15:29 NHS staff and patients to celebrate ‘Experience of Care Week’
- 15:29 Thousands of fans pay tribute to Avicii at Coachella following his...
- 15:26 Lesbian mum told baby won’t be legally registered because she is gay
- 15:25 Rafael Nadal beats Kei Nishikori to win the Monte Carlo Masters for...
- 15:25 Courts: Man avoids jail despite attack with rounders bat
- 15:24 Is the mini-heatwave over? What this week's weather has in store
- 15:24 Research reveals women are taking control of their finances
- 15:22 Can you pass the UK citizenship test? Take this quiz and find out
- 15:22 Funding boost for police operation targeting Calderdale's dangerous...
- 15:22 How much do London Marathon 2018 winners get in prize money?
- 15:21 Research reveals women are taking control of their finances
- 15:21 Police raid illegal Thai orgy and find ‘sweating middle-aged...
- 15:21 Majority get first choice school
- 15:21 Trump says North Korea nuclear crisis 'long way from conclusion'
- 15:19 Is the mini-heatwave over? What this week's weather has in store
- 15:19 Meeting to discuss access to cancer services for patients in Cumbria
- 15:18 WEEKEND WEB: Keeping people in their homes
- 15:18 Get the squad together: BBC Three is looking for mates to go on a...
- 15:18 Man arrested outside Birmingham Airport after 'threatening to shoot...
- 15:15 Vintage bike used to fight crime in Edinburgh bought for £265,000
- 15:11 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson gives epic surprise to a fan who asked...
- 15:11 Surge in number of Leicester kids in care triggers massive council...
- 15:10 The Gaitn Inn may be off the beaten track in Millington, but it’s...
- 15:10 The play-off 'lottery' is a myth - and Aston Villa must now prove...
- 15:09 Sir Mo beats the heat to post British record at London Marathon