French firm invests £10m to make Britain's first electric satellite in Belfast
The UK's space industry will receive a major boost as a French engineer unveils a plant in Belfast creating 350 new jobs.
Astronaut Tim Peake will today open the facility, costing £5million to £10million, which will manufacture the first UK-built electric engine to power satellites.
The device will be powered by solar panels and used to manoeuvre satellites into position once the rocket has taken it into orbit.
The use of electric power saves critical weight on satellite operations, using one-fifth of the propellant compared to chemical-based engines.
RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Biffa... read more
- 08:21 LIVE traffic, travel and weather for Thursday, April 27
- 08:21 Driver clocked speeding at 113mph on their way into Hull on the A63
- 08:21 India bans social media in Kashmir amid violent unrest
- 08:21 MARKETS LIVE: London shares red after Trump's tax proposals fall...
- 08:21 Pirates of the Caribbean 5 spoilers: Orlando Bloom reveals Will...
- 08:21 Dead woman's ashes thrown onto floor by thieves who ransacked house...
- 08:19 Injury stopped me reaching the top as a player ... that hurt is...
- 08:20 Live: Traffic and travel for Leicestershire
- 08:19 East Kilbride boss insists pressure is on Buckie in first leg of...
- 08:19 Airdrie Academy Schools Cup winners celebrate 50 years of history
- 08:19 Social media sites are failing to shield children from...
- 08:19 It’s no ordinary cup of tea that comes from Left Field
- 08:19 Callous vandals trash Lincoln gully at Boultham Park
- 08:18 Palmeiras' Felipe Melo throws huge PUNCH at opponent as supporters...
- 08:18 Tottenham fan left with broken skull and eye socket after being...
- 08:17 Who is standing for election in Retford East division?
- 08:17 Who is standing for election in Retford West division?
- 08:17 Readers support taxi drivers over disabled parking row
- 08:17 You can now jazz up your pre-drinks by turning your prosecco rose...
- 08:15 St Helens teen goes from shop floor to starring role in TV advert
- 08:15 This week’s debate: Does Sheffield need to become more of a...
- 08:14 How Man City could line up vs Manchester United
- 08:14 Manchester United line up vs Man City could include Henrikh...
- 08:14 International striker: I want to play at Newcastle next season
- 08:13 That Thing You Do reunion: THIS is what the movie’s band The...
- 08:12 Triple whammy of woe for drivers in Telford, Shrewsbury and Chirk
- 08:12 Six weeks of gas pipe work hold-ups near Oswestry
- 08:12 Pre-general election PMQ's: Waspi, waspish or was it just waffle?
- 08:12 Telford man, 19, in court over iron bar attack
- 08:12 Ellesmere man denies four sex assaults at army training camp