French confectioners battle Chinese firm over Calissons d'Aix
Angry French confectioners are preparing for battle over a sweet from Provence, after a Chinese company trademarked its name.
Calissons d'Aix are eye-shaped marzipan treats flavoured with melon, and firmly associated with France.
But Shanghai-based firm Ye Chunlin snapped up the rights under the noses of the Gallic manufacturers.
Now the French Union des Fabricants des Calissons (Union of Calisson makers) in Aix is fighting to block the decision.
Calissons have had protected status in France since 1991, so any brand making them there has to follow set methods.
But that only applies in... read more
- 18:32 Paramedic attacked by teenager who had taken 'Never Never Land Pill'
- 18:32 Watch Cygnet being reared by hand at wildlife hospital
- 18:32 Solihull nursery worker used Facebook to blackmail 'petrified'...
- 18:31 BBC presenter Julie Wadsworth 'performed sex act on boy', court hears
- 18:30 Thousands of bees captured in Station Street swarm incident
- 18:30 Arsenal open talks with top striker: He's set for summer move,...
- 18:30 France's Macron acts on pledge to clean up politics
- 18:26 Cash stolen in west Cumbrian burglary
- 18:26 Quad bike stolen in West Cumbria
- 18:25 Anglesey home of famous airman put up for auction
- 18:24 Top Conservative minister visits west Cumbria on election trail
- 18:24 Attempted burglary
- 18:24 U.N. envoy to Yemen says Houdeidah port should be kept safe
- 18:24 Owner tells of dog's fight for life after adder bite on Cumbria beach
- 18:22 Ex-BBC WM presenters Tony Wadsworth and Julie Mayer ‘giggled as...
- 18:22 Everything you need to know about Birmingham's first Olympic-length...
- 18:22 YouTuber’s music video gets 2,215,444 dislikes in just one month
- 18:22 Grieving mum shares images of stillborn baby
- 18:22 Pointless player threatens to QUIT after leaving Alexander...
- 18:20 Shadow cabinet members distance themselves from Corbyn as Labour...
- 18:18 Jailed: Sadistic attacker tortured man before trying to murder him...
- 18:18 KT Tunstall why I had to get away from music and what I really...
- 18:18 Find out which North Wales beach has won the region another Blue...
- 18:17 How much would you pay for a painting of Steven Gerrard as John the...
- 18:17 Top Conservative minister visits west Cumbria on election trail
- 18:17 Car pelted with stones in west Cumbria
- 18:17 We need new magistrates - or Greater Manchester's justice system is...
- 18:17 Burglars target west Cumbrian home as occupants sleep
- 18:17 Air ambulance at scene in Station Street, Burton as pedestrian hurt...
- 18:15 West Brom transfer rumours: EVERY player linked with the Baggies...