Free school trio to be sentenced over grants fraud
The founder of a flagship free school and two staff members will be sentenced for fraudulently obtaining around £150,000 from government grants.
Sajid Hussain Raza, 43, Shabana Hussain, 40, and Daud Khan, 44, were convicted by a jury at Leeds Crown Court in August of making payments into their own bank accounts from Department for Education grants given to help set up the Kings Science Academy in Bradford in 2011.
Judge Christopher Batty told the defendants after a six-week trial: "You have been convicted of serious offences and I am very much considering custody in each of your... read more
- 14:43 AMERICA’S BREXIT? New bill could pull US out of UN in funding row
- 14:43 Ethiopian crushed to death in Calais – but police REFUSE to accept...
- 14:43 Classic 1973 Range Rover that travelled through AFRICA goes on sale
- 14:43 WATCH: Young girl, 7, pens heartfelt open letter to Prime Minister...
- 14:42 Drunk driver attempted to flee after high-speed crash on A59 at...
- 14:42 Police concerned for safety of 25-year-old man
- 14:42 Public urged to vote for Scotland’s beavers
- 14:41 Charity challenge Walking With The Wounded aiming for biggest year yet
- 14:41 Warning to older people as Met Office issues cold weather alert
- 14:40 Holbeach Music Cafe to reopen at WI Hall
- 14:40 Emergency planning meeting to mobilise village community
- 14:40 Anglesey farmer forks out £500 after assaulting young woman in pub...
- 14:40 German government holds 2017 growth forecast at 1.4 percent - sources
- 14:39 Wall St. set to open lower amid uncertainty under Trump
- 14:39 Ban lifted on Indian bull-taming events to end mass protests
- 14:38 LIVE: Coastguard helicopter responds to 'ongoing incident' in...
- 14:38 Town’s oldest building to be saved from possible collapse
- 14:38 Jurgen Klopp: How injury to star man hit Liverpool players
- 14:38 Has Jurgen Klopp just given up on Liverpool winning the title?
- 14:38 Perplexed by your pension? You're not alone - we lift the lid on...
- 14:37 Changes over time give tower surrealistic feel
- 14:37 Civic Society marks 40 years
- 14:36 WE MAKE QUIZZING FUN: Rumours of this week's Fleetwood Mac top...
- 14:36 YP Letters: Teachers must be equipped to be resilient for pupils’ sake
- 14:36 Drunk driver attempted to flee after high-speed crash on A59 at...
- 14:34 WE MAKE QUIZZING FUN: Rumours of this week's Fleetwood Mac top...
- 14:34 Ladies College choir on song for national contest
- 14:34 Leeds Bradford Airport boosts New York flights roster
- 14:34 Alcohol stolen after pub is ram-raided
- 14:34 Expansion plans for Banbury’s Castle Quay ready to go