Fraudsters fleeced elderly man out of more than £4,000 for shoddy work to his home
Rogue traders fleeced an elderly man out of thousands of pounds with shoddy work to his home.
The 81-year-old widower paid £3,140 to the two cowboy workmen for sub-standard and incomplete work at his Eston house, Teesside Crown Court heard.
Now Andrew Turner, 47, and John Coverdale, 44, could face prison after a jury convicted them of fraud.
Prosecutor Paul Newcombe said the lone, vulnerable victim was targeted by the two men when they went to his home in February 2015.
He said they realised they had “struck gold” with an “easy target” who could be exploited for cash.
They suggested his... read more
- 15:02 Babies should share bedroom with parents - but in their own bed
- 15:02 Morrisons launches in-store pumpkin carving lessons for parents
- 15:02 The Centre Project, Granby Street, warns it will have to close –...
- 15:02 BFI research shows cinema-goers in Grimsby really liked 50 Shades...
- 15:02 Man suffers facial injuries in robbery outside Asda
- 15:02 Ward closed at Grimsby hospital due to diarrhoea and vomiting
- 15:01 Morrisons launches in-store pumpkin carving lessons for parents
- 15:00 Wall St. opens higher as M&A activity boosts confidence
- 14:59 Man City duo miss out on Golden Boy award
- 14:58 On the Wildside
- 14:58 Some SWIFT thinking has helped to reduce spillage from seed feeders
- 14:58 Young artist competition winners
- 14:58 Jus Rol site has been bought by bakery group
- 14:57 Tweed boat trips could play bigger role in town
- 14:57 Bid to create the North East’s first underwater dive trail
- 14:57 Puppy Charlie to have his life-saving operation, thanks to...
- 14:56 Chatburn woman dies in house blaze
- 14:56 Rugby Rotary Clubs join forces to tackle polio
- 14:56 Hunt for man who snatched woman’s iPhone as she sat at Blackpool...
- 14:55 Arrest over chemical alert at London City Airport
- 14:55 PC Semple murder: Witness heard 'someone throwing up on the carpet'
- 14:54 Would-be thief’s blood laid trail for police in Mansfield
- 14:54 Brexit knock-on not directly hitting local business
- 14:53 Extra brown bin collections during November in Wellingborough
- 14:53 Developer hoping to retain heritage of Rushden factory with new flats
- 14:53 15 things we all do the week before payday
- 14:53 Medieval well uncovered in field
- 14:53 M6 closed in both directions
- 14:52 Expected West Ham XI: Key man returns to Bilic’s strong-looking...
- 14:52 Almost £2m to be axed from Merseyside's drug and alcohol addiction...