Frankfurt to evacuate 70,000 after British WW2 bomb found
German police will evacuate about 70,000 people from their homes on Sunday after an unexploded World War Two bomb was discovered in Frankfurt.
It will be one of the biggest operations of its kind carried out in Germany since the war.
The 1.4 tonne British bomb, nicknamed 'blockbuster' during the war for its ability to wipe out whole streets, was found near Goethe University Frankfurt.
The university, the central bank and hospitals will also be evacuated.
Police said the bomb was a HC 4000, a type used in air raids by British forces.
It was found on Wismarer Strasse, which is close to the... read more
- 09:25 The Ashes 2017 guide: fixtures, betting odds and how to watch on TV
- 09:23 Appeal for information after assault in Rugby
- 09:23 Former Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna dies aged 49 after a long...
- 09:23 Spire shares hit as takeover talks end
- 09:22 Caring School pupils feed 240 through Doncaster foodbank
- 09:22 Teenage girl approached by stranger in Sheffield street
- 09:22 Felix joins appeal to catch cruel lego thieves
- 09:22 Carl Baker reveals Coventry City missed out on highly-rated India...
- 09:21 'Crazy' pair spotted clinging to bus
- 09:21 Harry Styles to perform at Victoria's Secret fashion show
- 09:21 Ryan Seacrest responds to allegations of inappropriate behaviour
- 09:21 Disability and sickness benefit error could cost up to £500m to fix
- 09:21 Single-use plastics could be taxed in battle against waste
- 09:21 Ofsted inspectors to ask children about why they wear hijab at school
- 09:21 Police say Gaia Pope was NOT murdered after post-mortem shows no...
- 09:21 Madeleine McCann investigation's mystery 'woman in purple' identified
- 09:21 'Time traveller' from 2028 returns to helpfully reveal what future...
- 09:20 WWE Survivor Series results: Triple H claims all the glory again
- 09:20 Police plea as 86-year-old with dementia goes missing in Milngavie
- 09:19 Staff shaken following robbery at Long Itchington store
- 09:19 East Hull teenager one of the youngest ever to sail aboard historic...
- 09:19 Pedestrian dies after accident on the A43 in Northamptonshire
- 09:19 Forget the Maldives or Thailand: The detox retreat in BELGIUM that...
- 09:18 Good Morning Britain's Piers Morgan names and shames 'miscreant'...
- 09:18 BBC weather: Carol Kirkwood stuns in figure-hugging navy dress for...
- 09:17 ‘I cheated death twice, now I help others to fight back’: Leeds...
- 09:17 Voters will 'go bananas' if UK offers £40bn to EU, former Tory...
- 09:16 Live: Council tax hike planned amid pressure from austerity cuts,...
- 09:16 Barmby pupils presented with new iPads
- 09:15 IYCMI, green beans are actually a ‘dry fruit’ and not a vegetable