France unlikely to achieve 2017 deficit target - fiscal watchdog
France is unlikely to meet its 2017 budget deficit target, the country's independent fiscal watchdog said on Tuesday, casting doubt on the government's plan to cut the shortfall to less than 3 percent of output.
The High Council of Public Finance's (HCFP) assessment is a fresh blow to President Francois Hollande's economic record seven months from a presidential election that polls suggest he has little chance of winning if he runs.
On Monday, jobless figures for August showed the biggest jump in the number of unemployed people for nearly three years.
Scrutinising the main economic... read more
- 07:27 China fines retailer Muji for listing Taiwan as a country
- 07:26 Brooke Kinsella: Why I helped EastEnders on knife crime story
- 07:25 Martin Luther King's daughter rubbishes Bannon claim about Trump
- 07:25 It's no yolk: Barrow cafe sparks debate after admitting it ships...
- 07:25 Top tips for ladies ahead of The Mail Picnic Day at Cartmel Racecourse
- 07:25 Evidence in suspected drug dealer trial mistakenly destroyed by police
- 07:25 Elderly couple get remarried 30 years after divorcing because wife...
- 07:24 Woman launches Carlisle's first Death Café
- 07:24 Delays and lane closures on M62
- 07:23 Mambas, medicine and one girl's race to survive Kenya's biting problem
- 07:23 'A ticket to the next life': the lavish Buddhist dog funerals of...
- 07:23 Real Madrid vs Liverpool: Combined XI of the two clubs ahead of...
- 07:23 Chelsea news: David Luiz wanted by Carlo Ancelotti in first Napoli...
- 07:21 How many litres of water should I drink in a day?
- 07:18 I'm nervous about buying a house – should I go ahead?
- 07:18 Europcar claims I scratched my hire car, but where’s the evidence?
- 07:17 MP stresses the crucial nature of a good rail service for Berwick
- 07:15 Four arrested in Hartlepool following car chase
- 07:14 Carradice leads fight back as Birstall overcome Hopton Mills to...
- 07:14 Twist at top of Premier table as Hanging Heaton suffer first defeat...
- 07:12 Two Barnsley women due in court today accused of murder
- 07:11 Befriending service for the lonely in Northampton plea for urgent...
- 07:10 Dowson delighted to be part of Boyd's Saints setup
- 07:10 Arsenal star Henrikh Mkhitaryan reveals what he hopes Unai Emery...
- 07:10 Thomas reassures Cobblers fans that off-field issues will not...
- 07:10 Poolies have the power to drive Hartlepool United back where they...
- 07:09 Emergency ‘shock’ measures lined up for Scots economy
- 07:06 Man runs 67-mile heart-shaped marathon around Manchester to pay...
- 07:04 Health column: Athletes must look after their brains
- 07:04 IN PICTURES: Buckingham comes together for the royal wedding