France says time to act on Congo, EU sanctions possible
France said on Tuesday it was time to prevent the political situation worsening in Democratic Republic of Congo and consider imposing European Union sanctions.
The United States imposed sanctions on a general and a former senior police official on Sept. 28 in an apparent ratcheting up of pressure on President Joseph Kabila to hold an election for his successor in November.
Dozens of people have died in clashes between security forces and protesters angered by what opposition groups say is Kabila's plan to postpone the vote and retain power beyond his two-term limit.
"It is necessary to... read more
- 13:31 New divides over oil prices as Opec heads for crunch meeting
- 13:29 Roads now open following serious collision near Northampton
- 13:29 Edinburgh’s Archangels syndicate takes top spot
- 13:29 Man City chief provides major update on Jorginho deal
- 13:29 Culture secretary urges BBC to appoint female Question Time host
- 13:29 Shamed MSP Mark McDonald 'should be suspended from Holyrood'
- 13:28 Mum's airing cupboard death 'devastated family'
- 13:28 Police car collides with bus in Newport, injuring 10
- 13:26 Anger in Cumbria at 'valueless' northern rail slur
- 13:25 Carlisle comes up trumps when it comes to clean air
- 13:25 Anger in Cumbria at 'valueless' northern rail slur
- 13:25 Dinosaur bones, shark teeth and crocodile armour at popular museum
- 13:25 Theresa May’s backdrop collapses again in Prime Ministerial...
- 13:25 Teen remanded over Wakefield city-centre stabbing
- 13:24 Top Grasmere chef proves he can handle the heat
- 13:24 A thief who struck at a shopping centre has been locked-up and...
- 13:23 Parents swap the suburban life for living on the open road in an...
- 13:23 'You can lose my suitcases but don't take my stroopwafel!' United...
- 13:23 Book review: The Blood Road, by Stuart MacBride
- 13:23 Book review: Assurances, by JO Morgan
- 13:23 Trader's €1bn deals voided after training platform mix-up
- 13:23 Nato chief says Trump-Putin meeting would not contradict policy
- 13:23 Iran's female football supporters make history at World Cup stadium...
- 13:23 Myrtle Allen obituary
- 13:23 Ulverston hailed as third best town in the country to live in
- 13:23 Ambulance crews get police award for work to try and save life of...
- 13:22 Measles cases are on the rise in Hull
- 13:22 Police record 86 cases of child grooming in Nottinghamshire in...
- 13:21 'The British Real Madrid ay we!' - Wolves fans react to that adidas...
- 13:21 Sophie Gradon's death sparks heartbroken tributes from Love Island...