France's first drug room for addicts to inject opens in Paris
A Paris hospital is now housing France's first "shooting gallery" - a safe place where drug addicts can inject under medical supervision.
The controversial drug room was opened by Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo and Health Minister Marisol Touraine on Tuesday. It is near the Gare du Nord, a busy station where drug crime is common.
The users will exchange hard drugs like heroin and crack for substitutes, along with sterile injection kits.
Critics fear it could fuel drug abuse.
Ms Touraine said France had become the tenth country to set up drug rooms, which Switzerland pioneered in 1986.... read more
- 11:58 Blue plaque honours North Shields writer
- 11:58 Spring cleaning the beaches
- 11:58 Foul-mouthed dog owner pays the price
- 11:58 From police box to ice cream parlour
- 11:56 Nottinghamshire Police classed as 'good' in report
- 11:56 Why are so many GPs dismissing women’s health as PMS and...
- 11:55 The Nidderdale Voices column featuring Martin Imeson
- 11:55 Nottinghamshire Police classed as 'good' in report
- 11:55 CCTV image released after theft from M&S in Skegness
- 11:54 Westminster Diary - Matt Western backs Alfie's cannabis oil campaign
- 11:54 Nottinghamshire Police classed as 'good' in report
- 11:53 Charity night in name of tragic Michael
- 11:53 Nottinghamshire Police classed as 'good' in report
- 11:52 What services are paid for by council tax in East Northants?
- 11:52 China 0-1 Wales LIVE: Score updates as Ryan Giggs takes charge,...
- 11:52 Is Sylvia Plath's driver's license worth more than a letter from...
- 11:52 Volunteer village fundraisers give hospice £6,000 boost
- 11:52 Joseph Parker had secret surgery on both elbows in the countdown to...
- 11:52 Manchester United and Man City set to battle it out for £50m-rated...
- 11:51 YOUR VIEW: Spireites team was the least talented ever to wear the...
- 11:51 TV Choice: Five to download or stream this week
- 11:50 Rebekah Vardy reveals how she turned the tables on troll who left...
- 11:50 Limmy to make TV comeback next month
- 11:49 Facebook details gathered in data breach could sell for £185million...
- 11:49 Birmingham train times for Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter...
- 11:50 Sarah Hyland lets rip at doctors for not ‘taking her chronic...
- 11:49 You can get a free breakfast at Carluccio's - but there is a catch
- 11:49 Coronation Street viewers recoil in horror after Tyrone violently...
- 11:49 Barrow man accused of police assault to appear at Preston Crown Court
- 11:49 Do you know what this sign means and what the punishments are for...