Fracking debate reignited as first shipment of controversial shale gas arrives in Scotland
THE first shipment of controversial shale gas arrived in Scotland yesterday – reigniting a furious debate on fracking.
A tanker carrying ethane from the US sailed up the Forth to the Ineos refinery in Grangemouth.
The vessel arrived amid much fanfare, with a bagpiper on shore and tugs blowing arcs of water into the air on either side.
Ineos claim the gas will secure the future of Grangemouth’s 1300 workforce, and a further 9000 Scottish jobs.
The company said the shipment was the result of a £1.6billion investment in eight tankers that will form a “virtual pipeline” between the US and the... read more
- 15:15 Arsene Wenger reveals how many points Arsenal need to win the...
- 15:14 Couple pump £200,000 into Ilkeston pub - and turn it into a success
- 15:14 Christmas 2016: Your complete guide to the festive shows in Nottingham
- 15:13 Perfect scores for young pupils
- 15:13 Award-winning Yorkshire Meatball Company announce closure of its...
- 15:13 Clashes in Somalia displace 75,000 as rains threaten - U.N.
- 15:12 Chatburn woman (55) dies in house blaze
- 15:12 11-year-old Rangers fan bottled in head before Old Firm game set to...
- 15:12 Design competition launched for new Scottish baby box
- 15:12 Hull City appoint Neil McDonald as new assistant coach
- 15:11 Chatburn woman (55) dies in house blaze
- 15:10 Hawker Yard pop-up idea is long-term winner
- 15:10 Foreign firms to increase spending on Iraqi oil fields in Basra -...
- 15:10 What is sepsis? Deadly condition kills tens of thousands every year
- 15:10 Euro zone inflation outlook still in the balance - ECB's Hansson
- 15:09 LIST: 2016 Nottinghamshire bonfire night events
- 15:09 When is Ross County v Celtic? Kick-off time, TV channel and odds
- 15:08 Joe Schmidt extends stay as Ireland head coach
- 15:08 Poldark ‘rape scene’ complaints examined by media watchdog
- 15:07 Warwickshire trading standards: ‘ham and cheese’ pizzas did not...
- 15:07 Sikh temple incident update: one man cautioned as investigation...
- 15:07 See water shoot into the air during Gateshead High Street roadworks
- 15:06 Kenyan president commutes all death sentences to life in prison
- 15:06 Babies should share bedroom with parents - but in their own bed
- 15:06 South Yorkshire bid to beat domestic abuse
- 15:06 Cuerden jobs site moves step nearer
- 15:06 Man threatened with knife in attempted robbery in Stockton
- 15:05 Girl with incurable illness gets to be police dog handler for the day
- 15:05 Dad 'stalked by cancer' which claimed his wife and daughter
- 15:04 Man sought after he exposed himself on trains