Four major cities move to ban diesel vehicles by 2025
The leaders of four major global cities say they will stop the use of all diesel powered cars and trucks by the middle of the next decade.
The mayors of Paris, Mexico City, Madrid and Athens say they are implementing the ban to improve air quality.
They say they will give incentives for alternative vehicle use and promote walking and cycling.
The commitments were made in Mexico at a biennial meeting of city leaders.
The use of diesel in transport has come under increasing scrutiny in recent years, as concerns about its impact on air quality have grown. The World Health Organization (WHO)... read more
- 14:27 'Got 20 chicken nuggets to feed the ducks' Lottery winner Jane Park...
- 14:27 Tories have a 'good chance' of winning Scunthorpe, says Communities...
- 14:27 Mum died from infected scratch after Bulgarian medics failed to...
- 14:27 Emmanuel Macron and Vladimir Putin shake hands ready for frosty...
- 14:27 Who will stay at Liverpool FC this summer?
- 14:27 50 Judo students make the grade
- 14:25 Readers most want better roads for Coventry, according to our survey
- 14:25 Muslim man offers free hugs in response to Manchester terror attack
- 14:24 Stroke of fortune for the Lions’ swimmers
- 14:24 Yemen cholera death toll rises, but number of infections drop - WHO
- 14:23 Kagiso Rabada tears England apart despite Jonny Bairstow resistance
- 14:23 Court round-up: Grantham area defendants in court
- 14:22 Cops arrest 13-year-old over gang attack that left man with serious...
- 14:22 Cambridge American Cemetery photo appeal for US war dead
- 14:21 COLUMN: Good news for Doncaster patients as GPs are either good or...
- 14:21 Amazon launches 40 new channels
- 14:21 Sheffield taxi drivers and mosques denounce Manchester terror...
- 14:20 What a difference an 85-week clean-up operation makes! 5,000 TONNES...
- 14:20 How to maintain your lawn this summer
- 14:18 Spain arrests 14 on suspicion of making, selling...
- 14:18 Kenwick Park GC seniors earn Waltham stalemate
- 14:17 Tributes continue for North East victims of terror attack as MI5...
- 14:17 Confused ASOS customers are receiving half-opened packets of Polos...
- 14:16 Hamerton Zoo Park evacuated over ongoing incident
- 14:15 EU ministers agree car approval rules after dieselgate
- 14:15 Ireland must make call on AIB IPO in next 10 days -minister
- 14:15 Cheshire Oaks host of fun events for half-term
- 14:15 Manchester attack victim Nell Jones's family say their 'hearts have...
- 14:15 Your pig-ugly pugs and grotesque guinea pigs could be TV stars
- 14:15 No escalation of security at East Midlands Airport following...