Four in five Britons have a heart that is older than they are: Obesity and lack of exercise to blame for premature ageing
Four in five Britons have hearts prematurely aged by poor lifestyles.
In the worst cases, men and women in their mid-40s had hearts typical of 60-year-olds.
The disparity puts them at far greater risk of cardiac arrest, stroke and diseases of old age.
Published today, the research by University College London is a stark reminder of the dangers of obesity and lack of exercise.
Two thirds of British adults are overweight or obese – one of the worst rates in Europe.
The findings are based on the responses of 575,000 users of a heart age calculator on the NHS Choices website.
RELATED ARTICLES... read more
- 08:28 Arsene Wenger: Arsenal chief could join Everton this summer
- 08:28 Driver of car that overturned on the M6 arrested for suspected...
- 08:28 Sheffield DJ speaks out over suicidal feelings before undergoing...
- 08:27 Donald Trump’s long-awaited visit to UK could happen this July
- 08:25 Driver of car that overturned on the M6 arrested for suspected...
- 08:23 Protest being organised over the Ashington Hole
- 08:23 Tea party for guide dogs charity in Skegness
- 08:21 The ultimate INSIDER guide to New York: From sensational...
- 08:19 Driver of car that overturned on the M6 arrested for suspected...
- 08:19 Delays after van fire on the M6
- 08:19 Pupils’ special lesson from global business
- 08:17 Three abandoned fox cubs adopted by farmer's dog
- 08:16 Protest being organised over the Ashington Hole
- 08:13 FARMING MATTERS: Lambing in full flow with lots of singles
- 08:12 Women lead the way in Cumbria - county authority votes in all...
- 08:09 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang sends tribute to departing Arsenal...
- 08:04 These 10 artists prove autism is no barrier to creativity
- 08:04 Events at the castle to celebrate St George's Day
- 08:03 Women lead the way in Cumbria - county authority votes in all...
- 08:03 Recycling changes for South Lakeland
- 08:02 Celebrating in true Stratford style
- 08:02 Departing Poulson has no intention of returning to football management
- 08:02 Duncan Slater: So proud to be part of the RAF story
- 08:02 Kevin Ogilvie: So proud to be part of the RAF story
- 08:00 Grantham Journal column: I urged Prime Minister to attack Syria
- 08:00 Oxford’s efforts can’t save Shipston from defeat
- 07:58 Elena Ferrante: ‘God didn’t make a good impression on my teenage self’
- 07:58 Queen Elizabeth II: Did you know these 20 unusual facts about our...
- 07:58 Brews with benefits: the health-boosting perks of a good cuppa
- 07:56 Tom Richmond: Theresa May’s leadership on Syria leaves Jeremy...