Four decades of service at popular bakery is icing on the cake for Andy
When Andy Howes knocked on the door at Oddie’s Bakery on Scotland Road in Nelson, the king of rock n' roll, Elvis Presley was top of the charts, a pint of beer cost 25p and England was celebrating the Queen’s Silver Jubilee.
The year was 1977 and Andy was only 15.
And he had just one question for Bill Tillotson, the man who answered the door to him: "What do you have to do to become a baker?"
Andy is now celebrating four decades of service with the 100 year old family owned firm
Recalling how he always wanted to be a baker Andy said: “I was at Colne Park High School, and when I... read more
- 08:32 Toddler barricades herself in room with toys after being...
- 08:32 Near misses between aircraft and drones triple in just two years
- 08:31 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us
- 08:30 Man attacked in Barrow town centre
- 08:30 It takes 15 minutes of burpees to burn off a creme egg, but that’s...
- 08:28 Vaping warning as study reveals E-cigs cause liver disease
- 08:28 British woman killed in Syria after leaving home to join fight...
- 08:28 Russia election: Muted Western reaction to Putin victory
- 08:27 10 words you’ll only know if you went to school in Scotland
- 08:26 Jeremy Clarkson’s son Finlo sports neck brace and crutches on...
- 08:25 Doncaster WhatsApp users warned about new scam
- 08:24 Elderly woman airlifted to hospital after cliff fall
- 08:24 12 words and phrases you'll only know if you are from Lancashire
- 08:24 Why Cuba’s colourful capital Havana should be your next city break
- 08:24 Man seen 'brandishing a knife' in the street in Barrow
- 08:23 Keeping the Lancashire coast safe for four decades
- 08:22 Crack cocaine of gambling' stakes should be cut says regulator
- 08:22 Elderly woman airlifted to hospital after cliff fall
- 08:22 Hold back that sneeze! You might be a flu super-spreader
- 08:21 Ben Stokes bowls five overs in indoor nets as England star boosts...
- 08:21 Lionel Messi hints he will 'give up' on Argentina if they don't win...
- 08:21 Pound to Euro exchange rate: Sterling retains its rise following...
- 08:21 Real Madrid 'agree deal in principle' to sign Bayern Munich forward...
- 08:21 ANZ admits not checking key details of loan applications made via...
- 08:20 Ant McPartlin arrested on suspicion of drink-driving
- 08:20 Vladimir Putin sails to Russia election victory
- 08:20 Sheep has rope tied around neck in bizarre rural Leicestershire attack
- 08:20 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us
- 08:19 Delayed openings at some Yorkshire schools
- 08:18 Leeds lasses show true northern grit as mini beast from the east...