Former Ukip leadership contender Steven Woolfe quits party
Mr Woolfe abandoned his bid to become leader of the party, claiming it was "ungovernable" without Nigel Farage leading it, and the European Union referendum cause to unite behind.
He stood by his claim that he had "received a blow" from Ukip MEP Mike Hookem during the fracas at a meeting in Strasbourg which caused the injuries leading to him requiring hospital treatment.
Mr Hookem has denied striking Mr Woolfe, and published photos of his hands in an effort to clear his name.
Mr Woolfe said he would continue sitting as North West MEP as an independent.
His announcement... read more
- 17:17 Artist's 30 hour 'labour of love' to transform man's old tribal...
- 17:17 Off-duty police officer given medal for outstanding bravery after...
- 17:15 BREAKING: Skegness man jailed for murdering Boston mum of two
- 17:15 Appeal after man assaulted in Skegness alleyway
- 17:15 Sports Direct welcome jailing of people traffickers
- 17:15 Splendour Festival 2017 headliner will be announced on Friday
- 17:15 Web design agency which worked with US election host venue moves...
- 17:15 More than 2,000 homes plunged into darkness by power cut
- 17:13 HSBC to close northern Lincolnshire branch and 61 others nationwide
- 17:13 13-year-old suffers a head injury in hit and run
- 17:13 Chester Cathedral reveals winners of Christmas tree festival
- 17:13 Chester man wanted in connection with assault and theft
- 17:13 Thomas sets new Guinness World Record for longest time spinning a...
- 17:13 Council tax to rise in Derbyshire to bring in extra £11million
- 17:12 Aston Villa chairman hints at three players incoming - another is...
- 17:10 Newcastle Civic Centre is turning 50! Send us your photos of the...
- 17:10 David Charters: Pssst... have you heard, the word is out on our...
- 17:10 There's something wrong with Wirral's high streets - what would you...
- 17:10 Workers at Chile's Escondida call wage offer 'absurd,' strike looms
- 17:09 Angry pensioner lost the plot after Flintshire nursery school...
- 17:09 Six dead after helicopter crashes while rescuing injured skier
- 17:09 Sir Ian McKellen pays surprise visit to Carlisle
- 17:08 Burton Albion news digest: which referee will take charge of QPR...
- 17:08 Talking point: tough final 19 games but Burton Albion can still get...
- 17:08 Police are investigating several incidents including break-ins and...
- 17:08 Water works exhibition for public
- 17:06 Taking ketamine ‘could help alcoholics quit booze’, experts claim
- 17:06 Ben Gerraghty arrested and charged with robbery and wounding
- 17:06 What to do if your child has got the hacking cough - and what to avoid
- 17:06 Thousands of south Cumbria residents respond to National Grid's...