Forget tinkering with tax relief, to build a proper pension contributions must be king, says Aviva boss ANDY BRIGGS
With the UK confronting an unprecedented savings crisis, tinkering round the edges simply won’t do.
But that’s exactly what speculation suggests might happen with pension tax relief when the Chancellor stands up to deliver the Budget.
It’s being suggested that the annual allowance - the amount you can pay into your pension each year - will be lowered from its current level of £40,000.
There could also be a change to the lifetime allowance - the total amount you can have in your pension pot before it can be taxed - which is currently set at £1m.
Those measures will only act as a disincentive... read more
- 10:53 Please stop telling me I ‘don’t need’ to take my mental...
- 10:53 Sheffield schools win cash to tackle ‘reading slump’
- 10:53 Brothers attacked man in fracas at bar
- 10:51 Video looks inside Meghan and Harry’s Frogmore House reception
- 10:46 Youngsters raise more than £11,000 for charity and other...
- 10:46 ‘I don’t feel like an underdog’: Jürgen Klopp eager for Real...
- 10:42 'I’m scared to go outside after dark' - Residents speak after man...
- 10:42 Charity worker aims for record race in Two Castles Run
- 10:41 Hits of Adele to be recreated on the Lichfield Garrick stage
- 10:40 Katie flying flag for Corby in Miss Teen Galaxy finals
- 10:39 Ozell Pemberton murder: Second arrest after teen fatally stabbed in...
- 10:36 Josh Warrington takes IBF title from Lee Selby after pulsating...
- 10:36 Besiktas boss confirms Anderson Talisca's exit is imminent amid...
- 10:36 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho plots to rival Barcelona to sign ‘the...
- 10:33 Cuba plane crash company had ‘serious complaints’ before air...
- 10:32 Scots ‘increasingly likely’ to report suspected trafficking to police
- 10:29 Teen driver 'seriously ill' after Northallerton crash
- 10:29 Service for bereaved parents and families to take place at the...
- 10:28 Former Burton Sea Cadet commanding officer Trevor Brunce was always...
- 10:25 Real Madrid star Sergio Ramos reveals plan to stop Liverpool duo in...
- 10:25 Rangers boss Steven Gerrard to battle Aston Villa and Leeds for...
- 10:25 Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho ready to cough up £35m for La Liga star
- 10:24 Unattended food sparks Lake District flat fire
- 10:23 England v Pakistan can be the healthy distraction the ECB so craves
- 10:19 Alice Rawsthorn’s cultural highlights
- 10:18 Terror attack survivors urge public to fight terrorism
- 10:17 Police search rightful owner of stolen generator
- 10:14 UKIP 'should fold' if Brexit done right, says ex-Welsh leader
- 10:14 Fire service saves 516 pets
- 10:13 Out of control bonfire in Ilkeston