Foreign workers list 'won't be public naming and shaming exercise'
Top Government ministers have ruled out forcing companies to publish lists of their foreign workers, as a former Tory cabinet member suggested plans to collect the data were "repugnant".
Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon and Education Secretary Justine Greening insisted the information was aimed at improving Government investment in skills training, and said it would never be made public or used for "naming and shaming".
The plans were announced at the Tory party conference by Home Secretary Amber Rudd and have been widely condemned, with Labour calling them... read more
- 20:03 US soldier gets world's first penis and scrotum transplant
- 20:01 Multiple injuries after van hits pedestrians in Toronto
- 20:01 'We can't compete': why universities are losing their best AI...
- 20:01 This is why firefighters were in St Saviours Road, Leicester
- 20:01 British Lung Foundation praises Katie Price for ‘incredible...
- 20:00 Elderly King’s Mill patients had to be re-tested after dementia...
- 19:56 Government could probe Express and Star newspaper takeover
- 19:54 NASA doesn’t know what’s making these bizarre circles in the Arctic
- 19:52 Labour unlikely to back controversial Worcester candidate
- 19:50 Spotify tests filter to block swearing in songs
- 19:50 World gets first glimpse of new royal
- 19:49 Derby and Sandiacre Canal Trust appoint fundraiser for £60m project
- 19:48 Is walking REALLY the perfect exercise? Four experts give their...
- 19:48 Psoriasis and arthritis sufferers have a higher risk of heart...
- 19:48 One hour of meditation is enough to reduce anxiety and stress on...
- 19:48 US veteran receives world's first penis and scrotum transplant:...
- 19:48 Agent expects Tom Brady to play for New England Patriots in 2018
- 19:43 Emmerdale spoilers: What happens next? A death leaves Ross...
- 19:41 Waffle House shooting: police arrest man suspected of killing four...
- 19:41 Diamond wedding couple finally celebrate after Beast from the East...
- 19:36 More Chester stores close as retail revolution continues
- 19:34 Brexit: pros and cons of leaving the customs union
- 19:34 Aldi offers compensation so it can build controversial store near...
- 19:34 Arsenal News: Ivan Gazidis chooses Arsene Wenger replacement
- 19:30 Roma chief confirms Liverpool are trying to secure Alisson transfer
- 19:30 This is why Sunderland have denied Wolves a bigger allocation for...
- 19:28 Police arrest Waffle House murder suspect Travis Reinking
- 19:26 Theresa May suffers third Brexit defeat in Lords
- 19:26 Local elections voter ID trial 'like picking up parcel'
- 19:25 The newborns who share birthday with royal baby