Football match abandoned after spectators turned up in balaclavas and carrying weapons
An amateur football match had to be abandoned after spectators turned up with weapons following a row on the sidelines. Police received reports that there were children present and people took refuge in the changing rooms when things turned ugly at a cup game between Thornaby Village from Teesside and Wrekenton Blue Star from Tyneside on Sunday afternoon.
Cleveland Police said no-one was arrested and there were no injuries.
According to reports, a local man had left the park in Thornaby following a row involving spectators and returned with several others, all wearing balaclavas and... read more
- 16:48 Fire crews rescue horse from Derbyshire ditch
- 16:47 The ATM at 50: how a hole in the wall changed the world
- 16:47 Qatar facing indefinite isolation, UAE says
- 16:47 Coins thrown into plane engine by elderly passenger for 'luck'
- 16:47 Milestone for fashion firm
- 16:47 NHS training hub wins building award
- 16:47 $esc.html($content.name)
- 16:47 Residents angry as Doncaster recyling plan approved despite 'flies...
- 16:47 Little joy for pound as BoE tightens credit controls
- 16:47 Think tank voices soft-Brexit fears
- 16:47 New £130,000 soft play area comes to West Bridgford
- 16:47 Ryanair flight FR13 / RYR100T spotted circling East Midlands Airport
- 16:46 Tim Westwood, you’re my dream, can I date you and get that wax?
- 16:46 Britain's hottest new baby name revealed - and it may surprise you
- 16:46 GALLERY: Annual model show in Skegness attracts kids of all ages
- 16:45 Prosecute those who put flammable cladding on tower blocks says...
- 16:45 Girlguiding engineering badge created by Barrow shipyard trio is a hit
- 16:45 Gareth Bale performs incredible golf trick shot as Real Madrid star...
- 16:45 John McEnroe refuses to apologise to Serena Williams for rankings...
- 16:45 Thug raped vulnerable teenager in horrific ordeal at Coventry park
- 16:45 Alicia Keys photobombs selfie as dad and daughter say cheese at...
- 16:45 Closure threatened police counters cost nine times more per caller
- 16:44 Why are strawberries and cream a Wimbledon tradition?
- 16:43 Police drop probe after fox ripped apart by Atherstone Hunt's...
- 16:43 The ATM at 50: how a hole in the wall changed the world
- 16:42 Health inspectors rule first digital GP service is UNSAFE for...
- 16:42 Mother who gave birth to stillborn son after vomiting blood learns...
- 16:42 Scientists discover coffee could be the key to losing weight AND...
- 16:42 TICKS could hold the key to treating a 'time bomb' heart condition...
- 16:41 Teenager who lost a leg in Alton Towers horror crash says she is...