Flood alert issued for Tyne and Wear coast
The Environment Agency has issued a flood alert for the Tyne and Wear coast.
Issued earlier today, the alert currently applies to parts of this afternoon, and between 2.30am and 5am tomorrow morning.
Crashing waves are expected, and overtopping onto coastal paths may happen during these times.
Seaburn Lower Promenade and Hendon Promenade were the most likely areas to be affected, the Agency said.
The alert added: "We will continue to monitor the situation and will reissue this alert if necessary. We are not currently expecting to issue any flood warnings."
Flood Alerts are... read more
- 03:43 Gambia crisis: Jammeh given last chance to resign as troops close in
- 03:43 Trump inauguration protests: TEAR GAS deployed as THOUSANDS march...
- 03:43 BREAKING: 'At least 12' injured after 'out-of-control' car smashes...
- 03:37 'Thank you' - Ian Paisley's words to Martin McGuinness
- 03:35 Former Chelsea winger: I wasn’t happy at Stamford Bridge but I...
- 03:34 Car ploughs into pedestrians in Melbourne, police say
- 03:30 Army mutiny exposes cracks in Ivory Coast success story
- 03:24 Several people injured after car hits pedestrians in Australian...
- 03:17 Nikkei stays in a narrow range, on track for weekly losses
- 02:52 The perils of reporting on China's GDP
- 02:46 The Yorkshire GP who says we can think ourselves slim
- 02:44 UFC News: Coach on McGregor vs Mayeather, Woodley talks Diaz bout,...
- 02:37 China economy grows 6.7% in 2016
- 02:35 Baby boy delivered by mother in car near Aberdeen
- 02:23 'I'm a transgender woman - ask me your invasive questions'
- 02:18 Andy Murray vs Sam Querrey LIVE: Follow the action as the world No...
- 02:15 Corbyn to attack SNP budget plans in Glasgow speech
- 02:13 Leeds council pledges new crackdown on rogue private landlords as...
- 02:10 Who could Sir Andy Murray face in the Australian Open final after...
- 02:05 North Korea PREPARES MISSILES as US says it’s ‘READY’ for Trump...
- 02:03 Larsen ice crack continues to open up
- 02:03 Nottingham mulls 2023 European Capital of Culture bid
- 02:00 Leicester defender Luis Hernandez travels to Malaga ahead of...
- 01:48 Peter Jay: Four years of Trump will not vanquish real America
- 01:46 Man evicted from hospital for blocking bed for two years
- 01:43 Bain, Permira interested as Toshiba flags chip business stake sale...
- 01:41 Man killed by crocodile in Australia's Northern Territory
- 01:40 Tottenham Hotspur: New stadium images unveiled
- 01:33 'Second World War bomb' found near Houses of Parliament
- 01:33 Fed's Yellen says unwise to allow U.S. economy to run 'hot'