Flood alert issued for Tyne and Wear coast
The Environment Agency has issued a flood alert for the Tyne and Wear coast.
Issued earlier today, the alert currently applies to parts of this afternoon, and between 2.30am and 5am tomorrow morning.
Crashing waves are expected, and overtopping onto coastal paths may happen during these times.
Seaburn Lower Promenade and Hendon Promenade were the most likely areas to be affected, the Agency said.
The alert added: "We will continue to monitor the situation and will reissue this alert if necessary. We are not currently expecting to issue any flood warnings."
Flood Alerts are... read more
- 17:07 ‘Can you hear me?’: Residents warned to hang up on new phone scam
- 17:06 Roof at Burton's Magnet Kitchen store 'badly damaged' by Storm Doris
- 17:06 Council refuses to reveal if Burton taxi driver caught on mobile...
- 17:06 Tunisia attack: Families want 'neglect' inquest verdict
- 17:06 Advent raises bid in three-way tussle for in tussle for Stada
- 17:06 The mixed fortunes of Berwickshire towns
- 17:06 Duns Court has been unused for over two years
- 17:05 Premier League boss discusses Manchester United transfer
- 17:05 VIDEO: Watch as an illegal hare courser’s car seized by police is...
- 17:04 Ashley Graham puts on a busty display in form-fitting ivory gown as...
- 17:04 'She has a vendetta!' Jamie O'Hara accuses ex Danielle Lloyd of...
- 17:04 What a week! Delighted Naomie Harris is made OBE by the Queen in...
- 17:04 Kooky Kendall Jenner wows in funky retro glasses as she joins...
- 17:04 'A bit uncalled for!': Janet Street-Porter labels Stacey Solomon a...
- 17:04 'What a d**khead!': Danniella Westbrook blasts her online 'stalker'...
- 17:04 EXCLUSIVE PICTURES: Lea Michele shows off pert derriere in black...
- 17:04 Microsoft, Airbus climb aboard drones software firm AirMap
- 17:03 Quit monkeying around: Animals know when they are being treated...
- 17:03 Deformed skeletons found in the foetal position shed light on the...
- 17:03 30 firemen rush to serious fire off A46 by Damon's roundabout
- 17:03 Crash! Storm Doris blowns down huge tree in Parcel Terrace, Derby
- 17:03 Coastguard warning over 'wave dodgers'
- 17:02 Car damaged in ‘revenge attack’
- 17:02 Hearts picked the wrong guy and Ian Cathro must go – Hotline
- 17:01 Everton to lose winger Yannick Bolasie for the rest of the year
- 17:01 Chelsea make Frank Lampard announcement ahead of Swansea clash
- 17:01 Arsenal legend Martin Keown wants to see more from Shkodran Mustafi
- 17:00 East Barkwith postmaster and Rasen MP promote services
- 16:59 Live electricity cable brought down in Rhosgadfan leaving 30 homes...
- 16:57 Paul Merson: This is how Swansea will try and stop Chelsea... but...