Flash crash 'triggered by algorithm' drags pound lower
The British pound has plunged in Asian trade, hitting a new 31-year low against the US dollar as traders speculate about a possible trigger.
It fell more than 6% at one point to $1.1841 before recovering to $1.23, still 1.5% down from late US levels.
Analysts say an algorithm reacting to a news report was the possible trigger for the sudden tumble.
The pound has seen renewed pressure since the UK government said Brexit talks would start next March.
"It's difficult to know exactly what triggered it," Angus Nicholson, market analyst with IG in Melbourne told the BBC.
The sharp drop... read more
- 12:49 'Middle class' Glastonbury Festival slammed by Fatboy Slim
- 12:49 Medical crisis as more doctors leave general practice than join the...
- 12:49 How eating junk food and smoking could cause dementia in CHILDREN
- 12:49 Police 'confident' they know identities of all killed in Manchester...
- 12:49 Hull City star Alex Bruce learns he’s leaving the club… via Twitter!
- 12:49 Alex Bruce: Did Hull defender discover he was leaving after reading...
- 12:49 Pokemon regional championships are coming to Birmingham
- 12:49 Charlene Walker stabbed to death over 'missing £21'
- 12:49 Three guilty of Mark Mason Rhyl Home Bargains killing
- 12:49 Alexis Sanchez: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger discusses star's contract
- 12:49 General Election 2017: Quiz the Edgbaston candidates
- 12:47 Increase in armed police and military support at key locations and...
- 12:47 Put your house on the telly – Notts homeowners could earn an...
- 12:47 Manchester terror attack: Security stepped up at Doncaster...
- 12:47 World Champion DJ Mr Switch to join Symphonica orchestra for...
- 12:47 West Bridgford bar Fire & Ice to close - and The Botanist is set to...
- 12:46 Police 'confident' they know identities of all killed in Manchester...
- 12:45 Karate club raises cash for charity
- 12:45 CCTV appeal after 'mindless vandal' stole £200 plant in Whitby
- 12:44 Artist opens door to home gallery to showcase summer collection
- 12:43 Everton FC boss looking to add creativity to his ranks
- 12:43 Jason Manford deletes Twitter after attacks over tweets sent to...
- 12:43 Who is Mac Miller, Ariana Grande’s boyfriend?
- 12:42 Nell Jones, 14, confirmed dead after Manchester terror attack
- 12:42 Chelsea transfer news LIVE updates: Costa to China latest,...
- 12:42 US STOCKS-Futures little changed ahead of Fed minutes
- 12:42 Cannes: Toby Jones warns of Brexit impact on films
- 12:42 Soldiers on the street as military personnel take their positions
- 12:42 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger discusses emulating Sir Alex Ferguson...
- 12:42 British sports car maker Lotus bought by China's Geely