Five of the world's longest-reigning monarchs
The death of Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej means Queen Elizabeth II of Britain and the Commonwealth Realms becomes the world's longest reigning monarch.
But who else has held their hereditary position for decades?
King Bhumibol Adulyadej King Bhumibol, or Rama IX, has died aged 88. His death brings to an end a reign of more than 70 years as he ascended the Thai throne on 9 June 1946.
He has spent much of the last year in hospital and in recent years has been rarely seen in public. His only son with Queen Sirikit, Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, is his heir. The couple also have three... read more
- 10:01 Profit warning and apology to customers from group behind Southern...
- 10:01 Blackpool woman’s 20 years’ in business
- 10:01 Doctors' warning: Patients dying because our hospitals are 'jam-full'
- 10:01 Ten of Glasgow’s oldest buildings
- 10:01 Anger as one in six children miss out on secondary school places
- 10:01 How many players has each Premier League team used so far this season?
- 10:01 Pundit: Antonio Conte proved his class with these four expert...
- 10:01 Manolo Gabbiadini: Liverpool want to sign Southampton star next...
- 10:01 Minecraft helped to guide shootout movie Free Fire's set
- 10:01 Talking Horses: Willie Mullins’ Cheltenham team plus Tuesday tips
- 10:01 Parents warned about indecent images sent to children on apps and...
- 10:01 Dogs sniff out illegal cigarettes and tobacco in raids across...
- 10:00 Police appeal for dashcam footage after death of 14-year-old in...
- 10:00 Apprentices get unique chance to work on BBMF
- 10:00 Dawn raids in Cheshire on drugs ring which saw county as an 'easy...
- 09:59 Delays in Burton due to reports of accident
- 09:59 Huge apprenticeship exhibition heading to Sheffield
- 09:59 Police warning after attempted burglary
- 09:59 Man attacked by would-be robbers
- 09:59 Aramco's Malaysia deal gives Saudis upper hand in fight for Asia...
- 09:58 Hugill’s hands-on approach
- 09:58 Wenger rejects multi-million pound offer?
- 09:58 Gillian’s new career takes off
- 09:58 Black Country MP Tom Watson urges Jeremy Corbyn's supporters to...
- 09:58 Worrying levels of alleged home care abuse against elderly and...
- 09:58 Holy Island car park is put on the market
- 09:57 YP Comment: Region’s needs must be heard
- 09:58 Video: What's been handed in as gun and knife amnesty continues...
- 09:57 YP Comment: Veteran MP’s long commitment
- 09:58 Oops-a-daisy, me duck... Leicester loco’s leap day