Five decades that changed personal finance for ever: When Money Mail began, wages were paid in cash on Fridays and tax was 95%
It's September 1966. In the living room the family squints at a black-and-white television with a screen no bigger than today's laptops.
Coronation Street is king of the soaps while younger children will have watched The Magic Roundabout before bed.
There's very little daytime telly. Instead, the transistor radio fills the room with pop music from a pirate radio station (Radio 1 will launch next year).
The Beatles' recently released album Revolver includes the song Taxman complaining about rates of up to 95 per cent.
In other news, England have won the World Cup on home soil, pounds,... read more
- 10:54 Leona Lewis turns heads in a white cutaway gown with daring...
- 10:54 'Has she always looked like this?!' Fans are left shocked after...
- 10:54 Maya Jama reveals she was bullied for her Somali heritage in...
- 10:54 Hailey Baldwin stuns in patent leather dress as she leads the stars...
- 10:53 Shakespeare’s Birthplace to go on show in Lego
- 10:52 Sunderland motorist was more than four times the drink-drive limit
- 10:52 Former Victorian bakery in Leeds City Centre gets much-kneaded revamp
- 10:52 Burnley church throws open its doors for coffee morning
- 10:51 Kind-hearted Derbyshire man raises funds for children’s hospital...
- 10:51 VIDEO: Derbyshire adventurers complete 400-mile trek across one of...
- 10:50 UK’s newest political party hold talk at the University of Buckingham
- 10:50 Former Victorian bakery in Leeds City Centre gets much-kneaded revamp
- 10:49 Former Victorian bakery in Leeds City Centre gets much-kneaded revamp
- 10:49 Images released as investigation into Buxton armed robbery continues
- 10:48 Future-proofing the NHS: how the UK's largest workforce is gearing up
- 10:48 HEATWAVE: Sheffield set to bask in RECORD BREAKING Bank Holiday heat
- 10:48 Residents celebrate the Royal Wedding with street party in Lichfield
- 10:48 Liverpool fans go WILD on way to Kiev for Champions League final:...
- 10:48 Sci-fi version of Shakespeare’s The Tempest coming to the Lichfield...
- 10:48 Review: Remi Harris at the George Hotel in Lichfield
- 10:47 Young people celebrate fire course success
- 10:47 Fun in the fresh air at Edale Country Day
- 10:47 Lincolnshire rabbit owners urged to vaccinate pets after fatal...
- 10:47 Former Victorian bakery in Leeds City Centre gets much-kneaded revamp
- 10:46 Lincolnshire rabbit owners urged to vaccinate pets after fatal...
- 10:45 Images released as investigation into Buxton armed robbery continues
- 10:44 'The leg remover' Double bladed machete with terrifying name carved...
- 10:44 Fancy volunteering for canal festival?
- 10:44 Inside the small Airbnb home where Thomas Markle watched the...
- 10:44 Kenilworth bookshop enjoys 50th birthday celebrations