Fitness bands 'do not boost health': Study finds novelty of the gadgets mean users exercise more at first but it soon wears off
Trendy fitness trackers do not actually improve your health, a study suggests.
Scientists found that even when those using a Fitbit device were offered cash incentives to exercise more, they did not do enough activity to benefit their health.
Modern wearable health gadgets - made by technology firms such as Fitbit, Jawbone and Misfit – sell in their millions.
The devices, worn on the wrist, arm or belt, estimate how active someone is by tracking the number of steps they take.
More sophisticated models also calculate calories burnt, heart rate and quality of sleep – and feed the data... read more
- 15:50 Court orders issued to Northampton traveller encampment believed to...
- 15:50 Sudan accuses Egypt of backing rebels ahead of foreign minister's trip
- 15:50 Manchester Arena terror attack - people with blood group O negative...
- 15:50 Comic Jason Manford reveals family friend missing in Manchester...
- 15:49 Skegness cabbie hailed a hero after terror attack in Manchester
- 15:48 Potential tornado in Derbyshire caught on camera at Breadsall...
- 15:48 A46 crash victim named
- 15:48 Sir Roger Moore dead: James Bond icon’s 10 FUNNIEST one-liners and...
- 15:48 Roger Moore: How many James Bond films did he make? What were they?
- 15:48 Roger Moore dead: Star thought he was ‘the WORST James Bond’ after...
- 15:47 Manchester arena blast: Liam Gallagher leads celebrity tributes
- 15:46 First victims of Manchester Arena attack named
- 15:46 Fires keep being started in woods, say police
- 15:46 Leeds United News: Garry Monk to extend contract as club target...
- 15:46 Irish lenders need to speed reduction in non-performing loans -...
- 15:46 Men arrested after Banbury stabbing
- 15:45 Sir Roger Moore dies: his best roles from James Bond to The Saint
- 15:45 Why Liam Payne 'struggled' over Cheryl's decision to name son Bear
- 15:45 Vic Reeves signs up for Coronation Street role
- 15:45 Downton Abbey star Hugh Bonneville has his say on possible movie
- 15:45 Heckles, applause and mocking laughter at Kenilworth and Southam...
- 15:45 Liam Payne set to top charts with debut solo single Strip That Down
- 15:45 These are the Manchester terror attack victims
- 15:45 Former CIA director says discussed election hacking with Moscow in...
- 15:44 Open Air Theatre shows to go ahead as normal following Manchester...
- 15:44 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:44 Radio 1 Big Weekend adds extra security measures after Manchester...
- 15:43 Scarborough student caught up in Manchester terror attack
- 15:43 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:43 Rugby to hold vigil instead of hustings