Fishing hoping to land Olympic status
The international governing body for fishing has applied for angling to be part of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.
The Confederation Internationale de la Peche Sportive says accepting fishing as an Olympic discipline would enlarge the universality of the Olympic idea because angling is so popular.
Fish caught would be returned to the water unharmed.
But critics say fishing involves too much luck, is incomprehensible to outsiders and too boring to watch.
They reject Confederation President Ferenc Szalay's assertion that angling's "ancient and fair competition system" matches Olympic... read more
- 12:43 Deutsche Bank plans 'significant' job cuts
- 12:43 'You can’t just keep saying sorry': readers on Amber Rudd and Windrush
- 12:42 Motorcyclist suffered head and leg injuries in city-centre smash
- 12:42 Man jailed in connection with Underley Hall abuse
- 12:41 Big event in support of Alfie Evans and his family to be held at...
- 12:41 Cheers! It's a Beautiful World for award-winning Leicester pub boss...
- 12:41 Funding bids worth £1.1m are prepared
- 12:40 Lionel Messi wins EU court battle to trademark his own name after...
- 12:40 Sheffield murder victim's funeral to be held next week
- 12:39 Four Seasons app review: a concierge in your pocket
- 12:39 Derbyshire police appoint new Assistant Chief Constable
- 12:39 Facebook accused of bullying by MPs
- 12:37 Thames Valley Police Constable who feigned injury quits
- 12:37 Derbyshire police appoint new Assistant Chief Constable
- 12:37 Two taken to hospital after car flipped over near Old Red Lion in...
- 12:37 Lincolnshire ranked as one of the safest counties in England and Wales
- 12:37 Motorcyclist suffered head and leg injuries in city-centre smash
- 12:36 Observatory marks milestone with the launch of a new facility
- 12:35 Police want to trace this man in connection with meat thefts
- 12:35 How will the Spireites’ relegation from the Football affect...
- 12:35 Coronation Street spoilers: Alison King and Kym Marsh film mystery...
- 12:34 Dogs are taking over the anti-Brexit campaign with Wooferendum posters
- 12:33 Employees go the extra mile for Hatton Park based children’s charity
- 12:33 Lincolnshire ranked as one of the safest counties in England and Wales
- 12:32 Lincolnshire ranked as one of the safest counties in England and Wales
- 12:32 UK retail sales continue to disappoint in April
- 12:31 Film festival returns to The Dukes in Lancaster
- 12:31 Indian dancing session at Halton Mill
- 12:30 Celebrations as £2m campaign completed
- 12:30 'Alcohol' pilots cleared after evidence blunder