First baby with three genetic parents born in Mexico
Fertility doctors using a controversial technique developed to eliminate inherited disease have helped a woman deliver the first baby with three genetic parents.
Five-month-old Abrahim Hassan's Jordanian mother was treated by a US team in Mexico.
He was conceived from an egg containing nuclear DNA from his mother and father, and mitochondrial DNA from a "second" mother - an unknown female donor.
The aim was to replace defective mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) that may have condemned Abrahim to Leigh syndrome, a fatal disorder affecting the developing nervous system.
Mitochondrial DNA is... read more
- 11:39 Stoke City transfer news and rumours LIVE! Mark Hughes issues...
- 11:36 What can I do this weekend in Cumbria?
- 11:36 Celtic star Stuart Armstrong pens new contract with Hoops until...
- 11:36 New venue for Lakeland Country Fair
- 11:36 Manchester United arrive for training as Chris Smalling takes swipe...
- 11:36 Father-of-two is first identified victim of Barcelona terror attack
- 11:36 South Cumbria child sex offender sentenced
- 11:36 Nemanja Matic believes Manchester United are a bigger club than...
- 11:34 'Times Square is well-protected' NEW YORK steps up security after...
- 11:34 US warning to North Korea over Japan threat - 'An attack on one is...
- 11:34 Samurai sword attack at Taiwan's presidential palace
- 11:33 FC Stratford sign prolific striker Parker from Stratford Town
- 11:33 "Sick taunts, attacks, making my life hell"
- 11:31 Restoration at church brings tears of joy
- 11:31 Teacher Kerry is a superhero double
- 11:31 The touching way this coffee shop paid tribute to 'special'...
- 11:31 Mark Lawrenson’s Premier League predictions: Who will win at the...
- 11:30 It’s not okay for men to move you out of the way by putting their...
- 11:28 Our A Level results have got better again - despite attempts to...
- 11:28 Man dies after crash closes A16 for several hours
- 11:28 Independent inquiry announced into Hope and Glory Festival
- 11:28 Liverpool India Buildings arcade stall holders plan public sit-in
- 11:28 Teen jailed for nine years for killing promising young footballer...
- 11:28 Watch: Police release images of wanted men after football violence
- 11:28 Man stole almost £20,000 from employer's petty cash
- 11:26 More delays for second consultation
- 11:26 Tributes paid to community stalwart
- 11:26 Stars pitch up to help victims of sex abuse
- 11:26 'They got us!' North Korea beaten United States with nuclear war...
- 11:26 Is this boy in clown make-up at an abandoned luxury hotel real or a...