Firm floats 'radical' idea for Palace of Westminster replacement
A quirky replacement has been proposed for when the Palace of Westminster closes for major refurbishment - and it would be on the River Thames.
The 250m long "radical" structure, designed by architect Gensler, features an elongated glass dome built over a wooden frame, all sitting on steel platforms set in the river, about 10m away from the palace.
Designers say the building could be made in shipyards across the UK in less than three years before being floated down the river into place.
The firm says the futuristic design is inspired by the hammer-beam roof of Westminster Hall,... read more
- 21:06 Sheffield region in line for £37.8 million for Northern Powerhouse...
- 21:05 How the FA can give Aston Villa the power in the Ross McCormack...
- 21:05 What IS a good night's sleep? From nodding off in 30 minutes to...
- 21:04 Education progress in Derby 'still lagging behind' but more skills...
- 21:03 Neighbours tell of shock after vehicles set on fire in Wallasey
- 21:02 Brazil team-mate lifts lid on striker's Chelsea transfer move
- 21:02 Gerard Deulofeu explains why he quit Everton
- 21:01 BREAKING: Pilot dead after plane crashes at airport
- 20:58 Everton complete midfielder transfer: Medical passed, boss speaks out
- 20:58 Ryan Mason's family 'overwhelmed' by support after Hull City...
- 20:57 Algeria crash out of the Africa Cup of Nations as Leicester City...
- 20:55 Exiled Gambian ruler accused of stealing millions of pounds
- 20:55 China closes 111 golf courses to save water and land
- 20:53 Mexico's Pena Nieto outlines goals for talks with Trump
- 20:53 Nigeria: Babies used in suicide bombings, officials warn
- 20:51 If the government loses its Supreme Court appeal what happens next?
- 20:47 'An angel was sent from above to come down and carry you': Listen...
- 20:45 Residents tell of parking 'nightmare' outside Derby primary school
- 20:45 Resident Evil 7 Reviews: The final verdict for Biohazard
- 20:44 All part of a plan: Saido Berahino joining youngest Stoke team in a...
- 20:42 Paolo Maldini reveals huge Arsenal and Chelsea transfer news
- 20:40 'It's the portal to the upside down world!' Southern California...
- 20:40 Mining, fracking and construction are increasingly triggering...
- 20:40 The mystery of New England's 1816 'year without a summer':...
- 20:40 Burst pipe hits water supplies around Craven Arms prompting repairs
- 20:38 Chelsea plot swoop on AC Milan: Blues keen on veteran
- 20:38 Star man in fitness race: He could miss huge Liverpool v...
- 20:37 Role models project is creating a mosaic of future Yorkshire talent
- 20:36 Role models project is creating a mosaic of future Yorkshire talent
- 20:36 Government accused of ‘stonewalling MPs’ over Trident as US...