Fire death rates in Scotland higher than rest of the UK
More people are being killed in fires in Scotland and the number of blazes is also on the rise, according to new figures.
A total of 45 people across the country were killed in fires in 2015-16 – four more than in 2014-15.
Fire investigators said six of those who died in 2015-16 were deemed to be suicides.
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) report revealed the fire fatality rate in Scotland in 2015-16 was higher than England and Wales at 8.4 deaths per million of population, compared to 5.5 and 6.1 respectively. The service warned the relatively small numbers involved would make the... read more
- 11:41 Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic refuses to reveal...
- 11:41 Eight-year-old’s love for Ariana Grande could have saved her from...
- 11:41 Eddie Jones picks eight uncapped players for Barbarians as George...
- 11:41 Ajax's attacking talent flopped in Europa League final, but young...
- 11:41 UPDATED: Possible suspicious package in Manchester deemed safe
- 11:41 Antonio Valencia is Manchester United's unsung hero and lauded by...
- 11:41 Liverpool fans set up petition to remove Michael Owen as club...
- 11:39 WIN tickets to see Elbow at Forest Live
- 11:39 Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Manchester United intend to do this after...
- 11:39 Ander Herrera to Barcelona: Ernesto Valverde's line-up next season...
- 11:39 Bomb squad called to incident in Hulme
- 11:38 Housing market moving sideways, lenders say
- 11:38 David Silva pictured wearing Man City's new kit
- 11:38 Ansell offloads condom division for $600m
- 11:37 New Warwick mayor follows wife’s footsteps in new role
- 11:37 Indy 500: How to watch Fernando Alonso in action on TV and live stream
- 11:37 BREAKING: Army and bomb disposal team called to incident in Manchester
- 11:37 Wicked: Over The Rainbow finalist Sophie Evans cast as Glinda the...
- 11:37 Where is Phillip Schofield? This Morning viewers left confused as...
- 11:37 University pays tribute to 'well-liked' student Liam Curry after...
- 11:36 Laura keen to end season on a high
- 11:36 Revealed: The one shop our readers want to open in Leicester
- 11:36 You can help put Scotland’s core paths on the map
- 11:34 Manchester terror attack: Chorley travel agents “went the extra mile”
- 11:34 Tories stay silent over leader election
- 11:34 Travellers given until 10am tomorrow to move off Northampton park
- 11:34 BREAKING: Army and bomb disposal team called to incident in Manchester
- 11:34 RECRUITMENT: Jobs fair for Rushden Lakes tomorrow
- 11:34 Lancaster and Morecambe tattoo parlours donating cash from...
- 11:34 Greyhound Derby: world’s richest dog race comes to Towcester