Finance sector should junk the jargon, says Bank analyst
Do you know what a bear market is? Or how about credit correlation, a short position or operational risk?
Such terms may be run of the mill for those in the financial industry.
But to many of us they are simply incomprehensible jargon, a Bank of England analyst warns.
Jonathan Fullwood says that financial "gobbledygook" risks perpetuating a "great divide" between banks and the public.
"How much of what... the financial industry in general write can actually be read by a broad audience?" he says. "[It] must try harder if claims of accessibility are to be... read more
- 11:32 Holyrood row breaks out over "fawning" Royal baby motion
- 11:32 New case of Alabama Rot confirmed
- 11:32 Premier League transfer news: Danny Rose, Mauro Icardi, Jorginho,...
- 11:31 How former airbase school bounced back after RAF left Doncaster
- 11:31 Brackley food business to offer direct degree route
- 11:31 Peruvian judge orders arrest of two accused of lynching Canadian
- 11:30 David Davis apologises for unannounced border visit
- 11:30 Plans for 150 homes in Hatton Park due to be heard tonight
- 11:30 Man released after joint enterprise conviction quashed
- 11:30 Kate Middleton red dress is giving us serious Princess Diana vibes
- 11:29 Closing branches leaves ‘sense of decline and despair’, banks...
- 11:29 Using your phone in the passenger seat could land you a £200 fine...
- 11:28 Digital skills partnership launch
- 11:28 Blackpool building firm in £21m city work
- 11:28 Middle earners punished by 'fiscal drag': Higher rate of income tax...
- 11:28 How you could get points and a fine for using your phone as a...
- 11:28 EastEnders spoilers: Phil Mitchell reveals the shocking truth about...
- 11:28 Mohamed Salah is worshipped from the Colosseum to the Kop... here's...
- 11:27 £15,000 campaign to bring wheelchair friendly roundabout to...
- 11:27 TSB boss apologises after customers hit by IT glitches
- 11:25 Plans for 150 homes in Hatton Park due to be heard tonight
- 11:25 Class A drug gang jailed after 18 homes raided by police
- 11:24 Sky Sports pundit makes huge Antonio Conte to Arsenal claim
- 11:24 Liverpool transfer news: Robbie Fowler says superstars set to join...
- 11:24 Meet the Westoe candidates for the South Tyneside local council...
- 11:24 Apple's Shazam takeover investigated by EU competition regulators
- 11:24 Children secure place at preferred Northumberland schools
- 11:22 Students dissolved in acid after being mistaken for Mexican drug...
- 11:22 The idyllic North Yorkshire village that hosts naked swimming sessions
- 11:22 Interviews set to take place for Chester FC job - but here's who...