Finance sector should junk the jargon, says Bank analyst
Do you know what a bear market is? Or how about credit correlation, a short position or operational risk?
Such terms may be run of the mill for those in the financial industry.
But to many of us they are simply incomprehensible jargon, a Bank of England analyst warns.
Jonathan Fullwood says that financial "gobbledygook" risks perpetuating a "great divide" between banks and the public.
"How much of what... the financial industry in general write can actually be read by a broad audience?" he says. "[It] must try harder if claims of accessibility are to be... read more
- 14:10 Ribble Valley MP calls for 'lasting memorial' to victims of terror...
- 14:10 Everton agree deal for new stadium site
- 14:09 New hotel on cards for Chester business quarter
- 14:09 Unique project aims to revitalise Blyth’s market
- 14:08 Paul Ince to Middlesbrough: Former England star reacts to...
- 14:09 London attack: Reaction from North-East politicians
- 14:09 ISIS says it was behind London terror attack
- 14:08 Sebastian Vettel reveals Ferrari expectations ahead of Australian...
- 14:08 Gareth Southgate hails Liverpool and Tottenham duo after Germany...
- 14:08 THIS is as crucial as BLOOD pressure for heart health - but do YOU...
- 14:08 ISIS says it was behind London terror attack
- 14:07 More support for victims of domestic abuse in Derbyshire
- 14:07 A DRIVING FORCE: On the road with patient transport volunteer - VIDEO
- 14:07 Man found dead in Wetherpoon toilets by cleaner next day
- 14:06 YP Letters: Why shale gas could transform rural life for the better
- 14:07 ISIS says it was behind London terror attack
- 14:06 YP Letters: High-speed train proves a brain drain
- 14:06 YP Letters: Computers get in way between GP and patient
- 14:06 Fleetwood midfielder George Glendon still available for selection...
- 14:06 Erdogan says Bulgaria's pressure on Turks "unacceptable"
- 14:06 Cheers from wedding guests after door dilemma makes Emily and...
- 14:05 Second Birmingham flat raided over London terror attack
- 14:05 Over one million UK homeowners on wrong mortgage deal
- 14:05 Time to reward our dedicated volunteers
- 14:05 Everton transfer target admits he fancies move to big club
- 14:04 Peter is Spalding’s Cake King for World Autism Awareness Week
- 14:04 Dogs rescued after house fire
- 14:04 Fancy getting a fossil named after you like David Attenborough?...
- 14:04 Westminster Bridge re-opens less than 24 hours after terror attack
- 14:04 Woman calls out man who suggests her breastfeeding is ‘too far’...