Finally - RAF chiefs expect Waddington runway to fully open soon
RAF Waddington's runway should be fully operational by the end of this year following a £35 million rebuild.
The discovery of more than 1,000 historic underground cables and pipes at RAF Waddington and waterlogged earth is why the project is a year behind schedule.
Surveys had found most of the ground under the airfield was made up of limestone, but large areas of clay were found when the runway surface was removed. This meant the new runway needed to be redesigned otherwise it would have sunk when built.
READ MORE: 1000 wires and pipes delay Waddington's new runway by a year
Work began in... read more
- 14:06 Burnley up ante in Robbie Brady chase with £13m offer for Norwich...
- 14:06 Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe calls for 'heroic defending' after his...
- 14:06 Huthwaite leisure centre faces closure
- 14:06 Pictured: Saudi crash horror sisters killed and fighting for their...
- 14:06 Driver killed and woman hurt in horror Tamworth crash
- 14:06 What TV channel is Stoke City vs Manchester United on? Kick-off...
- 14:06 Police cordon in place in Doncaster
- 14:06 Huddersfield tournament brings together boxers from across north of...
- 14:05 Planning applications: Plan for 28 new dwellings in Sowerby
- 14:05 Antonio Conte confirms Chelsea have received bid for this...
- 14:04 Fire rips through building in Saltshouse Road, Hull
- 14:04 Old Town road improvements to begin
- 14:04 Famous North Yorkshire brewery unveils new beer for Six Nations rugby
- 14:04 Whole world at winter party
- 14:04 Festive period busiest on record for region’s NHS
- 14:03 BT announces price hikes for broadband, landline and sport
- 14:03 More staff needed for ambulances
- 14:00 Danger driver jailed for more than six years after devastating...
- 14:00 Naked man found handcuffed and hanged in latex gas mask by...
- 14:00 Italy avalanche: Incredible footage shows moment young boy is...
- 13:59 David Haye creates new promotion company Hayemaker Ringstar in...
- 13:59 Diego Costa is available to play against Hull on Sunday... and he...
- 13:58 Man in court accused of attempted murder of police officer
- 13:58 Appeal lodged following Carlisle pub assault
- 13:58 REVEALED: Derbyshire schools GCSE performance tables
- 13:58 Rangers star Barrie McKay should jump at the chance to move to...
- 13:57 Police want to trace this Tuebrook man as part of attack probe
- 13:57 FC Stratford boss Poulson rues poor decision-making
- 13:57 Wirksworth joins ‘Bridges not Walls’ banner drop as Donald Trump...
- 13:57 QUICK QUIZ: This week’s news in questions