FIFA set to rule on Wembley poppies ahead of England's World Cup qualifier against Scotland on November 11
The English and Scottish FAs are working together on how their national sides will recognise Armistice Day when they play a World Cup qualifier at Wembley on November 11.
FIFA have already been contacted to propose both sides wear black armbands embroidered with poppies to honour the war dead.
The joint approach and early dialogue follows the fuss in November 2011 when England wanted to have poppies on their shirts against Spain, but were stopped by world football's ruling body on the grounds they allow no political, religious or commercial messages on kits.
This caused an outcry with FA... read more
- 00:04 American wonderkid Will Vint agrees to join Manchester United...
- 00:00 Video refs could be rolled out for EFL Cup
- 00:00 Insightful explorations of science fiction’s lengthy coming of age
- 00:00 Boyd with confidence
- 00:00 Radicalism obscured in gloom
- 00:00 RLIF backs nines cup for 2019
- 00:00 Astle’s family calls for Taylor to quit
- 00:00 Boycott put on ice after players win
- 00:00 Another corporate attack is looming
- 00:00 Labour members should be free to criticise Israel
- 00:00 Time for claimants’ voices to be heard nationally
- 00:00 Unite against neoliberalism
- 00:00 Ukraine: Polish consulate ‘attacked by terrorists’
- 00:00 EU leaders left bitter by Brexit ‘divorce’
- 00:00 South Africa: Zuma stays away from Kathrada’s funeral
- 00:00 Hospital workers to strike over zero-hours
- 00:00 40% cuts to legal aid have reduced system to ‘carnage’
- 00:00 NHS activists protest in York against health cut
- 23:59 'A leg-breaker', a headbutt, four sent off and Hibs boss Neil...
- 23:53 Mary Berry’s new ‘home happiness’ book will reveal her top secret...
- 23:52 Star Wars Battlefront 2 2017 UPDATE: New trailer announcement from EA
- 23:50 Turkey ends Euphrates Shield military campaign in Syria
- 23:46 Everton shouldn't blame James McCarthy for injury setback, insists...
- 23:46 Rangers have agreed £350,000 deal for Billy Gilmour with Chelsea if...
- 23:46 PFA Scotland chairman John Rankin warns Scottish football’s...
- 23:44 Neil Lennon accuses Morton player of trying to break Hibs star's...
- 23:41 Road too small for houses
- 23:41 “I get 250 smiles a day and it’s great”
- 23:41 Slimmer gets invitation to Parliament
- 23:39 US state department employee 'concealed contacts with China'