Fiction: The Last Letter by Rowan Coleman
Carl had known Eric for 56 years, a lifetime, he often thought. Eric was the thread that gathered the days of his life together, made them something close to coherent.
They’d met on the 7.54am train into Waterloo.
In those days the majority of the male passengers were wearing bowler hats and carrying brief cases and long umbrellas.
One August morning, Carl had looked out of the train window and said, to no one in particular, “That’s the summer of love, passing us by out there.”
The rest of the carriage had pretended not to hear, but Eric looked up from his paper and said, “Strictly... read more
- 01:05 Amir Khan calls out Floyd Mayweather but domestic rival Kell Brook...
- 01:05 James Haskell seeks upturn in Wasps form to boost his chances of...
- 01:01 ‘No deal’ Brexit would cost Tayside and Fife nearly £4bn, say...
- 00:59 Generation game in Gomersal
- 00:58 Mosul: Culture and concerts where IS once reigned
- 00:50 US style restaurant chain reveals location of next site
- 00:42 Heckmondwike man killed in Cleckheaton car crash
- 00:42 Subsidised bus services to be scrapped
- 00:32 Mercedes in harmony as Lewis Hamilton joins the party in Austin...
- 00:27 Harry Kane wants to become 'one of the best players in the world'...
- 00:27 Man City news: Gabriel Jesus insists Sergio Aguero deserves his...
- 00:27 Man Utd news: Juan Mata insists Huddersfield defeat was a one-off
- 00:24 EastEnders spoilers: Huge Christmas drama ahead for Lauren, Abi and...
- 00:24 EastEnders spoilers: Knife horror for Tina Carter leads to hit and...
- 00:24 Mel B ‘chucks out ex Stephen Belafonte’s stuff leaving him only...
- 00:22 Paris accord: US and Syria alone as Nicaragua signs
- 00:22 Emma Hayes will not replace Mark Sampson as England women's boss...
- 00:20 Album round-up with Ian Sinclair
- 00:20 Ever true to his roots
- 00:20 Bleak yet beautiful fictions of near-future disintegration
- 00:20 Ron’s gone: Everton can Koeman as Toffees sit 18th
- 00:20 England ‘raring to go’ despite losing first ODI
- 00:20 Caixinha slams shameful Rangers performance
- 00:20 Trouble in the hermit kingdom: Life in Korea before the war
- 00:20 The vampire kangaroo and the great sewage swindle
- 00:20 A genius beyond all category
- 00:20 We’ve only seen but the scum on the surface
- 00:20 World in brief: Tuesday October 24
- 00:20 Catalan legislature to mull Madrid’s ‘power grab’ plan
- 00:20 Army tightens noose on last Isis stronghold