Fewer children living in workless household
The number of children living in out-of-work families has fallen by an average of a quarter since the start of the decade.
New figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that around one in eight (12%) children lived in a workless household in 2015, down from roughly one in six (17%) in 2010.
The trend has not been uniform across the country, however.
A few areas have seen a rise, the largest being Doncaster in South Yorkshire, where the number has jumped by almost a third.
Stockton-on-Tees (up 26%), North Ayrshire and North Lanarkshire in Scotland (both up 14%) and Bridgend... read more
- 08:13 Ryanair adds Naples to East Midlands Airport summer flying schedule
- 08:11 HEALTH: What hope do we have?
- 08:10 Report reveals where in the UK over 50s struggle most to get a GP...
- 07:59 DECEMBER DECIDER: Choose your favourite Hull KR left-centre
- 07:59 Can Hull City end 30 years of hurt at Middlesbrough?
- 07:59 Banned driver Robert Wilson used false number plates to drive...
- 07:58 Antonio Conte opens up on Chelsea’s title chances following Man...
- 07:50 Man United star eyed by Real Madrid: Jose Mourinho considering swap...
- 07:43 Chelsea and Crystal Palace could do transfer business in January
- 07:43 Man United key man in contract stand-off: Red Devils star demanding...
- 07:43 'He turned blue and stopped breathing': 2lb baby Josh ready to...
- 07:35 UFC News: McGregor on being stripped of belt, Jones talks failed...
- 07:35 Alan Shearer: Arsenal are a much better team because of this player
- 07:34 Report reveals where in the UK over 50s struggle most to get a GP...
- 07:29 Serious crash occurs in Chesterfield
- 07:28 Big Interview: Ex-PNE midfielder Simon Davey
- 07:22 Alan Shearer: This Chelsea star is back to his best under Antonio...
- 07:22 Arsenal readying shock January bid for Chelsea star: He could...
- 07:20 Obama bars China's Fujian from buying Aixtron's U.S. business
- 07:20 Missing out on West Ham trip in FA Cup trip was biggest regret of...
- 07:20 Pioneer of twinning association dies
- 07:16 Christmas 2016: When are the last posting dates for Christmas?
- 07:15 The 16 worst things about being a tall guy
- 07:14 Drug-dealing Derby teenager had 21 ecstasy tablets at Y Not festival
- 07:14 Dad inspires Jaime’s marathon attempt
- 07:14 Marathon man Ben inspires school pupils at St Gilbert’s Primary...
- 07:14 Hero cab driver’s ‘reward from God’
- 07:13 Lewis Skelton's devastated family visit scene of police shooting in...
- 07:13 17 Elf on the Shelf ideas to seriously impress your kids
- 07:13 Top baby names of 2016 revealed