Feeling lonely? Now you can try out speed dating at Alnwick Garden
A state-of-the-art drop-in centre to help combat loneliness has been officially opened at The Alnwick Garden .
Called the Stuart Halbert Elderberries Drop-In Centre, it will offer a range of activities from games sessions to speed dating.
The centre will be run by a team of volunteers and will be open to anyone aged over 55.
The opening ceremony on Thursday coincided with the garden’s 15-year anniversary.
The Duchess of Northumberland said: “This really is a special day because I’ve said over the last 20 years anyone can build a garden but it is what you do with that garden.
“The centre was... read more
- 07:18 Cleethorpes care home goes top of the class and wins best design award
- 07:18 Sgt Wilko’s barmy army! Fans will have winning feeling when Leeds...
- 07:17 More than 100 people to protest plans for new Huddersfield school -...
- 07:16 Ex-South Yorkshire Police to challenge his removal from the force
- 07:16 Hull KR close to signing Zach Dockar-Clay and Josh Johnson
- 07:16 New poll shows centrist Macron beating Le Pen to win French election
- 07:15 How will Brussels react to Article 50 being triggered?
- 07:15 Reality Check: Will the UK pay a €60bn 'divorce bill'?
- 07:15 Liam Payne faces the realities of nappy-changing head on in small...
- 07:14 Repeated fires cause damage to Lincolnshire's most haunted church
- 07:14 Street which fought huge housing plan could now get 280 new homes
- 07:14 More than 400 Doncaster properties hit by power cut
- 07:11 Beyond the blade: the truth about knife crime in Britain
- 07:11 Hartlepool United improving all the time
- 07:10 Gareth Bale should have seen red for bad tackle on John O'Shea,...
- 07:10 India ease to eight-wicket win over Australia in Dharamsala to...
- 07:08 Neil’s plight to help others after his own inspirational journey
- 07:07 Diego Costa: Why this Premier League target can be a phenomenon
- 07:07 Premier League’s big five eye Brazilian wonderkid
- 07:06 Emmerdale spoiler: Will Rebecca reveal fling with Robert to a...
- 07:06 Emmerdale spoiler: Laurel brings husband Ashley home to die in...
- 07:06 Coronation Street spoiler: Nathan EXPOSED as Bethany sees picture...
- 07:06 Neville: How Fergie told me it was time to leave Manchester United
- 07:06 Shropshire maternity units review ‘not a downgrade’
- 07:06 Neymar opens up on Lionel Messi and Barcelona following Man United...
- 07:06 Yorkshire weather: Cloudy skies bring an end to our all-too-brief...
- 07:06 Demolition of historic Scarborough building begins
- 07:06 Music teacher denies historic sex crimes
- 07:06 Live: Breaking news from Liverpool and Merseyside Tuesday March 28
- 07:04 SICK ISIS militants made female prisoners TORTURE EACH OTHER for...