Fed decision to hold interest rates a 'close call'
Minutes from last month's US Federal Reserve meeting show its decision to keep a key interest rate unchanged was a "close call".
Minutes of the 20-21 September meeting showed officials were closer to raising rates than at any time since last December.
They only held off because inflation was still running below their 2% target and there was no sign of rising wage pressure.
Rates were held between 0.25% and 0.5%.
"Several members judged that it would be appropriate to increase the target range for the federal funds rate relatively soon if economic developments unfolded about... read more
- 03:01 Antidote that can treat ALL deadly snake bites could be on the...
- 02:59 Highlights, presentations and recruitment - a week in the life of...
- 02:58 Oprah Winfrey given Swiss apology for 'racist treatment' over handbag
- 02:45 No joke: have China's censors gone too far with ban on humour app?
- 02:43 Missed this week's entertainment news?
- 02:42 Graduation – a guide for parents
- 02:42 Drugs, sleeplessness, isolation: the downside of being a dance...
- 02:32 Why do the Chinese love Bicester Village?
- 02:21 Southwest Airlines accident: Authorities order mass engine inspections
- 02:08 Sydney man charged with several terror-related offences
- 02:01 Draya Michele brightens up Atlanta club with her off-the-shoulder...
- 02:01 Tristan Thompson's alleged fling Lani Blair 'to star in VH1 reality...
- 02:01 Harper Beckham holds on tight to her dad David on fun day out with...
- 02:01 Jessica Cunningham displays her blossoming baby bump in...
- 02:01 Kerry Katona 'will send her ashes to SPACE when she dies so her...
- 02:01 Coronation Street fans go wild as they spot Pat Phelan on the...
- 01:51 Benedict Cumberbatch slams 'pathetic' Sherlock co-star Martin...
- 01:51 Britain's Got Talent: Manchester terror attack victim leaves Ant...
- 01:50 Stratford firms win Queen’s Award
- 01:46 Heathrow v Gatwick: Could the winner be... Stansted?
- 01:39 Is marathon running bad for you?
- 01:25 Why I wanted my male rape to be on Coronation Street
- 01:25 Rafa Benitez puts Islam Slimani on standby as he vows to change a...
- 01:22 Why singer Lucy Dacus makes her fans cry
- 01:22 What do Indian parents tell their children about rape?
- 01:22 North Korea undergoes an image change ahead of summits
- 01:18 Rogeting: why 'sinister buttocks' are creeping into students' essays
- 01:16 Giant penguin fossil shows bird was taller than most humans
- 01:07 HQ Trivia: The free app giving away thousands of pounds
- 00:59 Nicaragua protestors over pensions called "vampires"