Fears at sudden fall in domestic abuse cases
The number of Wigan people prosecuted for domestic violence has plummeted by almost a third in just a year.
But experts say that this shouldn’t be cause for celebration: the likely cause is fewer victims’ coming forward due to legal aid cuts.
A Freedom of Information Act request shows there was a 30 per cent fall in domestic violence prosecutions in Greater Manchester in the first six months of this year compared to same period a year before.
A Wigan charity which supports victims of domestic violence today expressed shock and surprise at the news because it says it has experienced an... read more
- 10:10 Ireland desperate for Brexit details to call EU negotiator Barnier...
- 10:09 Radio 1 apology over Orlando Bloom 'pikey' comment
- 10:09 Police hunt driver 'who sped off' following serious accident
- 10:08 Leamington pub will be reopened and renamed Old Library after...
- 10:08 Woman questioned by detectives after man dies in Leeds house fire
- 10:08 United Airlines to give passengers $10,000 if they have to be...
- 10:08 Palestinian Authority halts its payments for Israeli electricity...
- 10:08 Kate Garraway left red-faced after branding Susanna Reid a DOG in...
- 10:07 Hoppers appoint Arnold as head coach
- 10:07 How do you pronounce chorizo? Masterchef viewers left angered over...
- 10:07 Browne: We’re no beach boys
- 10:07 PNE kids given chance to shine
- 10:07 Egypt 'let down' by continued UK flight ban to Sharm
- 10:07 Tamworth sisters leap into fund-raising with charity skydive for...
- 10:07 How much money does the UK pay to the EU?
- 10:06 Boris Johnson blasts 'mutton-headed old mugwump' Jeremy Corbyn
- 10:06 Boris Johnson attacks Jeremy Corbyn and calls him a 'mugwump'
- 10:06 Doncaster airport boss "caught out on Facebook" cleared of bigamy
- 10:06 Nottingham Viva! Vegan Festival is set to attract 3,000 visitors
- 10:04 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 10:04 Coventry RFC's Max Trimble seeks to topple Tom Howe from pole position
- 10:04 Fidget spinners and fidget cubes: what are they and where can you...
- 10:04 Aston Villa contract news: What next for the club's youngsters
- 10:04 Sky Sports explain decision not to broadcast Aston Villa v...
- 10:04 Boris Johnson attacks Jeremy Corbyn and calls him a 'mugwump'
- 10:02 Recorded crime rose 9% last year in England and Wales
- 10:01 Newcastle owner Mike Ashley found out about tax raids on TV,...
- 10:01 Boris Johnson attacks Jeremy Corbyn and calls him a 'mugwump'
- 10:01 Have you seen missing Ian Moore?
- 10:01 Monster Mansion: what prison has been like for Rhys Jones's killer