Fast spinning pulsar is actually TWO stars: Ultra-bright object found in a distant galaxy is a binary star system
Astronomers have discovered a pulsar nestled in a region which blasts out more radiation than one million suns.
European scientists came across the object while scanning a distant spiral galaxy NGC 7793, whose light takes almost 13 million years to reach the Earth.
The strange stellar object was found in an bright region of the galaxy classed as an ultraluminous x-ray (ULX) source.
But observations have revealed the pulsar, which is the third to be discovered in the region so far and the fastest spinning, is actually a tiny neutron star feeding off its huge partner.
The object was first... read more
- 17:37 World War 3: Britain urged to sever diplomatic ties with North Korea
- 17:36 Husband who threatened to "throw oil everywhere" at wife's home...
- 17:36 Love, Barack: Obama's letters to college girlfriend unveiled
- 17:36 South Cumbria STEM scientist follows in famous footsteps at...
- 17:35 Manchester United podcast: Super Sterling, Pep vs Jose and can...
- 17:35 Man Utd News: Phil Jones contract talks underway - report
- 17:35 Rafael Nadal stressed and it's because of Roger Federer - David Law
- 17:35 Chorley cabaret night supports Rosemere Cancer Foundation
- 17:35 Support for plans to tackle holiday hunger
- 17:35 Arsenal team news: Debuchy hammered by fans as 'shambolic' defence...
- 17:35 ESPN pundit Moreno slams Chelsea star Cesc Fabregas - he offers...
- 17:35 Asda is selling rose gold glassware and it’s super glam
- 17:35 Liverpool ace: We knew Champions League thrashing of Maribor was...
- 17:34 Penny Lancaster breaks down in tears on Loose Women as she reveals...
- 17:33 Carlisle park 'compass' removed - because of health and safety fears
- 17:32 Man accused of infecting lovers with HIV 'deliberately injured one...
- 17:33 Fashion show to raise money for breast cancer charity
- 17:32 Parents warned over hand foot and mouth disease - these are the...
- 17:32 These are the ten best schools for GCSEs in the West Midlands
- 17:32 Malicious 'false alarm' fire calls on the rise in Birmingham
- 17:32 Police appeal after taxis targeted
- 17:32 Bank customers 'at risk' from authorised payments scams
- 17:32 Biggest new homes plan in Cumbrian village for 50 years: Developers...
- 17:32 Liam Gallagher says Oasis will NOT reform - but he wants to make...
- 17:32 UK braced for Storm Brian weatherbomb as Met Office issues warning
- 17:32 Relief for Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United as Premier...
- 17:32 Flight bound for Birmingham Airport declares mid-air emergency
- 17:32 Birmingham cabbie and baggage handlers plotted to smuggle cocaine...
- 17:32 The Entertainer is opening in Walsall – just in time for Christmas!
- 17:32 Street brawler must pay £365 for being drunk-and-disorderly