Farm subsidies: Payment to billionaire prince sparks anger
Taxpayers are paying more than £400,000 a year to subsidise a farm where a billionaire Saudi prince breeds racehorses.
The Newmarket farm of Khalid Abdullah al Saud - owner of the legendary horse Frankel - is among the top 100 recipients of EU farm grants in the UK.
The system's critics say Brexit will let the UK redirect £3bn in subsidies towards protecting the environment.
A spokesman for the prince declined to comment.
Farm subsidies swallow a huge chunk of the EU's budget. They were started after World War Two to stimulate production, but led to food mountains that had to be dumped.
A... read more
- 10:51 The shares to watch in 2017: From an unloved clothing giant, to a...
- 10:51 Police get extension in Gomersal murder investigation
- 10:51 Couple caught having sex in Burger King toilets
- 10:51 Why Yorkshire folk still prefer to pay and display with cash
- 10:51 Newspaper trolls Donald Trump with brilliant TV listing
- 10:51 Shooting takes place outside primary school as children are...
- 10:51 Bus fire in Mablethorpe
- 10:51 ‘Tour of the Wolds’ will bring thousands to Louth
- 10:50 What do your colour choices say about YOUR personality? Clever test...
- 10:50 UFO hunter demands a 'scientific inquiry' into police footage of a...
- 10:50 Drink-driver crashed into car with baby
- 10:50 Police investigate shooting near Glasgow primary school
- 10:49 Pets suffer ‘Blue Monday’ today too ... or do they?
- 10:50 Leeds trolleybus inquiry hears of “lessons learned” and how past...
- 10:49 Burglars smash into Sheffield community building and steal charity...
- 10:49 West Brom and Liverpool call on Fifa to help fight Cameroon battle
- 10:49 Go-getting South Yorkshire grandad hands over £30,000 to special...
- 10:49 Aston Villa and Jordan Rhodes: Latest on Middlesbrough striker's...
- 10:49 Independent Sheffield girls school rated 'inadequate' by inspectors
- 10:49 Championship gossip: Former Wolves and Aston Villa striker Robbie...
- 10:49 Why Yorkshire folk still prefer to pay and display with cash
- 10:49 Seven ways to cut your tax bill and save you hundreds of pounds
- 10:49 Manchester clubs were supposed to do battle for the Premier League...
- 10:49 Birmingham City trial Stourbridge defender Dan Scarr
- 10:49 Tunisia massacre: Inquest into Sousse beach tragedy to start today
- 10:49 A self-supporting city street
- 10:48 Lance Stroll must NOT copy this current F1 driver, claims Jacques...
- 10:48 Elbow to play Sherwood Forest
- 10:47 Flashing UFO appears near Space Station – but astronaut ‘covers it...
- 10:47 REVEALED: Which workers are most likely to drink or drug-drive