Facebook Express Wi-fi goes live in India
Facebook has launched a scheme to bring internet access to underserved locations in India.
Express Wi-fi offers software to local entrepreneurs to allow them to work with service providers and share their internet connection with the public for a fee.
Users have access to a variety of services, including news and weather reports.
One critic of Facebook's previous plans was more receptive to this one.
"I think it's a great initiative, we need more companies providing access to the internet in India," said Nikhil Pahwa, editor and publisher of MediaNama, an Indian news site.... read more
- 16:15 Leeds student’s death - jury inquest continues
- 16:14 Mosque linked to ISIS Jihadi terror forced to install CCTV to...
- 16:14 Lakes hotel unveils £250k bedrooms revamp
- 16:14 South Cumbria pupils experience life as college students
- 16:14 Sports brand stays one step ahead with world first in footwear
- 16:14 Fire crews tackle blaze at Co-operative supermarket in Norton
- 16:14 40 cameras and the 'same people over and over': The battle against...
- 16:14 Ryanair pilots set to strike five days before Christmas
- 16:13 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Alexandra Burke issued APOLOGY over...
- 16:13 Toto Wolff sets Valtteri Bottas task of overtaking F1 champion...
- 16:13 Motorway blocked after crash between two lorries and a car
- 16:13 Llandyrnog cheese plants defeats ice and snow to take delivery of...
- 16:13 Teams worked through the night
- 16:12 New deal secures future of Bakewell’s Agricultural Business Centre
- 16:12 The festive foods you can and can't feed your dogs and cats
- 16:12 Which supermarket is the cheapest Aldi or Lidl?
- 16:12 A great year for Building Bridges in Burnley
- 16:12 West Ham v Arsenal: Drop Alexis Sanchez and give Olivier Giroud and...
- 16:12 Marcos Rojo reveals gruesome head wound after Manchester United’s...
- 16:11 Arriva bus strike vote tonight: Facebook debate rages
- 16:11 Mum almost FIVE TIMES the drink drive limit drove on M62 with...
- 16:11 Toni Kroos urged to join Manchester United FC after tweet
- 16:11 Glenfield team saved life of baby with heart outside her body
- 16:10 Woman finds ‘pain in the ass’ written on her receipt
- 16:10 Enjoy a stroll in the Notts countryside? Footpath bosses want your...
- 16:09 When is Mad Friday 2017 and what's on in Birmingham's bars and clubs?
- 16:09 Rescheduled dates for rubbish and recycling collections following...
- 16:09 Bear Grylls Adventure new NEC attraction includes biggest high rope...
- 16:09 Man airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after M180 crash
- 16:09 Nutella flavoured Oreos are perfect for dunking into hot chocolate...