Experts warn rising sea levels will DOUBLE coastal flooding by 2050, and tropical regions will be hit worst
Rising sea levels caused by global warming are set to dramatically boost the frequency of coastal flooding by 2050.
Tropical regions will be the worst hit, and researchers forecast a 10-to-20 centimeter (four-to-eight inch) jump in the global ocean watermark by mid-century.
Major cities along the North American seaboard such as Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles, along with the European Atlantic coast, would be highly exposed, the researchers say.
Scroll down for video
HOW THEY DID IT Up until now, global models of future coastal flooding haven't adequately taken into... read more
- 09:28 Atletico Madrid dealt huge injury blow for Arsenal clash
- 09:28 Arsene Wenger critics are ‘stupid’… he’s not the real reason...
- 09:27 Campaigning Northampton pensioner calls on council to set up day...
- 09:26 Police investigating death of man found inside Batley house
- 09:25 Leeds office site wins wellbeing prize
- 09:25 ‘Without the Leeds trauma centre, I wouldn’t be here today’
- 09:25 Power cut hits 60 South Yorkshire homes
- 09:24 Extra tickets released for Runrig’s farewell concert
- 09:23 Liverpool will sign a striker this summer, Roberto Firmino needs...
- 09:23 Orgasms, assemble: You can now get Avengers themed sex toys
- 09:23 St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright focusing on positives after Dens defeat
- 09:23 St Johnstone’s Stefan Scougall looking to finish season with a...
- 09:23 Slate will be wiped clean for play-offs, says Dundee United boss...
- 09:22 Daniele De Rossi ends his long wait for dream date at Anfield
- 09:22 Severe disruption to Northern train services after incident between...
- 09:22 Plans for new Premier Inn on Scarborough waterpark site revealed
- 09:22 'Nothing beats the hunt for tunes that will change your life':...
- 09:21 Fire crews tackle village blaze
- 09:21 Memorial wall in Radcliffe pays tribute to First World War heroes
- 09:20 Expansion planned at prominent Carlisle factory
- 09:20 Hospital apologises to actress Han Ye-seul for surgery error that...
- 09:20 Sarah Jessica Parker insists there’s ‘no catfight’ with Kim...
- 09:20 Severe disruption to Northern train services after incident between...
- 09:19 Library of Birmingham reopens following three day closure
- 09:19 Chorley Court Listings - Tuesday April 24 2018
- 09:19 Wigan teen rushed to burns unit with serious injuries following...
- 09:19 Sunderland teenager’s funding appeal to take part in Paralympics
- 09:18 The Leeds Fund: Confectioner’s sweet gift for young people
- 09:18 New Crown poker machine tampering claims to be investigated
- 09:18 Barnier says EU needs 'more clarity' from UK over its Brexit...