Experts reveal hidden health benefits of artificial light: It wakes you up better than coffee and can help you fight diseases, but there IS a dark side...
From checking our smartphones the moment we wake to watching TV hours into the evening, most of us spend our lives bathed in artificial light.
And, as we are increasingly told, this constant exposure can be harmful for our health, disrupting our body clocks — bright light is thought to suppress the body’s production of the hormone melatonin, which triggers feelings of sleepiness.
The risks are serious, with research suggesting prolonged exposure to artificial light may increase the risk of obesity, diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure and depression.
And the worst culprit is too... read more
- 07:53 Sunshine and colder conditions
- 07:51 New coffee shop in Preston is taking shape
- 07:51 Historic Newsome Mill ponds saved from developers
- 07:50 Cameron House reveals plans for lochside terrace revamp
- 07:50 Liverpool News: Big transfer claim, Premier League title blow,...
- 07:50 Pundit reveals why Manchester City will struggle against Tottenham...
- 07:49 UPDATE 1-UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Jan 20
- 07:49 Donald Trump Inauguration: 'America steps into the unknown'
- 07:47 Manchester United transfer odds on top summer signings including...
- 07:46 Generosity of fundraisers enables mum to stand up fully again
- 07:46 Trust chiefs face £290k business rates increase
- 07:46 Live: Breaking news and travel from Coventry and Warwickshire on...
- 07:44 Link road closed for two hours after lorry fire
- 07:44 Washington braces for massive protests as Trump becomes U.S. president
- 07:43 Manchester United should have signed this Tottenham star - Harry...
- 07:42 Three-vehicle smash closes lane of A19
- 07:42 Do you know this Corby man? He’s wanted on prison recall
- 07:41 Andy Murray beats Sam Querrey in third round of the Australian Open...
- 07:41 Dan Evans vs Bernard Tomic LIVE: Follow the action as Britain's No...
- 07:40 Trump protesters pepper sprayed by police in violent clash ahead...
- 07:39 Memory match: Aston Villa v PNE 1968
- 07:39 PNE midfield ace DJ prepares to face old club
- 07:38 Tributes paid to a war hero who was a ‘true gentleman’
- 07:38 Live: Traffic and travel updates for Leicester and Leicestershire
- 07:38 Leicestershire weather: Mostly dry and cold. Frost and fog patches...
- 07:38 Daventry district beats national figures for employment
- 07:37 Five Leeds secondary schools fail to hit pupils’ progress targets
- 07:37 Leeds students combat social stigma in new exhibition
- 07:37 Royal Mail shares dip as letter deliveries continue to fall
- 07:37 Digital training hub opens in Leeds city centre